Sign in to follow this  
sslawr

TV Interference

Okay, so i splashed out on a big TV. Now my other TV's, and the non-Sky channels are all crap with interference. The box came with some Ferrite cores, but where the hell do I put them??

TV is a Samsung Plasma. Sky is set up to run directly on this TV and on two others in the house. The other TV's can't pick up TV1 at all, TV2 is awful, TV3 and some of the others are okayish.

Is this interference or something else, and if the cores will help, what cables do I put them on and where on the cable??

Appreciate any help from those that know how all this sh*t works

maybe the old aerial system is buggered.

check all the conections at the aerail and plug end ,

any way you shouldn't really use anolog rubbish tv chanels with a modern tv they wont do it justus .

new tv is widescreen old anolog tv broadcast is 4:3 and much lower quality .

just change chanels through the sky remote etc.

can help if needed.

Must have been a good Christmas if the shackles have come off the old wallet Stevo! I hope you had a good one.

Have you replaced an existing TV with this set, or is this an extra TV in the house? Sounds to me like there is a bit of a problem with how the aerials are running through the house. How have you got them wired should be something like: aerial in to Sky decoder - out to signal splitter - splitter then runs to the various TVs around the house.

Check all the aerial connectors are still good, might have dislodged one in the change over?

Thanks Brent and JTP. Brent I might take you up on your offer in the next week or two. I'll pm you if I need to.

John, I have a boring old aerial and a sky dish. The sky dish was wired later so comes in through a separate cable (but out of the same wall space). The RF Out for Sky then goes back into the wall and presumably up into a splitter to go to the other two TV's.

So the UHF/VHF aerial is giving the crap performance, digital seems largely fine. The reason I can't just live with the digital is that my kids sometimes (usually) want to watch sky which means I can't use digital at the same time.

If i'm using the ferrite cores to suppress the Rf interference, where do they go? Is it on the aerial cables at the source end? I've tried them in various places but none seem to improve it too much. Would I be better to just go and buy some cables with built-in suppression?

So the UHF/VHF aerial is giving the crap performance, digital seems largely fine. The reason I can't just live with the digital is that my kids sometimes (usually) want to watch sky which means I can't use digital at the same time.

Ahhh, I see. This is exactly what I get, the digital signal is fine until the Sky box is turned on, then the signal breaks up badly, I guess this is due to "cross-talk" interference from the Sky decoder to the digital TV signal. Unfortunately I found no way of solving this, and in the end I seperated the digital signal from the Sky box so I could watch both at once, but only on certain TVs.

I'm not sure if the cores supplied with the TV will work for that kind of interference, maybe try putting them on the out cable from the Sky box? Before buying the other leads, I would talk to the guy in the TV shop as they have probably come across this before.

The cores might be meant for the power cables of the TV. Surely there would have been some instructions for it?

Yeah I thought there would be instructions as well but the Samsung book just says they are for the "cables". Doesn't say which ones.

As you say John the answer might be to ask the people that sold it to me or, better still, get someone that knows these things, like Brent. Might need to be next week now though.