Sign in to follow this  
lightshine

A couple of e30 maintenance questions

Hi, i have only just signed up to these forums, hope this is the right category

I did a search about the cambelt change interval for the m20b20 and saw the user 'Glenn' has stated several imes the cambelt interval is 60,000 kms or 5 years for the m20 engine. I have also seen that on the us forums they state 60,000 miles or 4 years, so whats the story? 60,000 miles is alot more than 60,000 k's, does nz have poor quality belts or is our climate just alot harsher on the rubber

Also, i see my power steering fluid needs topping up, so i went to supercheap looking for some dexron 3 ATF thinking i knew what to get, but then i was faced with dexron 3 ATF 'Type F' and several other variants. For memory i think the back of the bottle even mentioned type 'f' atf was not suitable for some power steering applications, what is the correct stuff to get?

also is 10,000 k's / 6 months the standard oil change interval on e30's? i run mineral oil, because the car had been run on mineral for at least the previous 5 years before i took ownership so i thought i would keep it the same

Edited by lightshine

60,000miles is nearly 100,000km

I think it's just a good idea, the belt is the weakest point of the M20 IMO. Would take Glenn's advice on it though, he's probably done his share of M20 cambelts.

I'm sure just any DX3 ATF would be fine, I dunno about the types, but I put Elfmatic G3 in my powersteer.

10,000/6months is yeah.

Synthetic Oil wasn't exactly common 20 years ago :P

May want to buy yourself a service manual, would save heaps of time!

Thanks for that, I also want to check the trans fluid (getrag 240), i tried to make my own tool out of a 17mm bolt but i dont have a welder so i just used epoxy glue and tightened the nut up hard in the vice. It did not work though, the fill plug on the trans is too stiff

Cant seem to find a tool, the hardware store only went up to 14 mm, found another shop that had 24mm alen keys, but no 17mm, what does everyone else use?

Top tip: use a standard E30 wheel bolt. put the head of it into the hole and then use the open end of your 17mm ring spanner on the bit that doesnt quite fit into the hole

e: or as michael said, except finding a nut to suit that thread could be hard? the head on the wheel bolt is more than long enough in my experience..

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I've never actually tried. haha...

It's just what I'd first try.

I use a 17mm allen key fitment on a breaker bar then just use the bit with a spanner :) ( i only use the breaker bar as it's the only thing that fits)

Edited by gouba