Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

help- broke my e36 lsd

hey all,

was driving my 328i home up a tight, steep wet street and was comming out of a corner up a steep incline and felt like only one wheel was spinning then i heard a clunk and then both started spinning doin about 2000rpm in 2nd then spun for about 3-5secs till it got traction again and was off and all good. then later on when i went out again it started making a big clunk clunk round corners on occasions so i got it home and up on the jack and noticed the left axle stub wasnt sitting right in the diff so pulled the half shaft off and the axle stub to investigate and looking throught the hole i could see a broken tooth on the inner gears and the found the bit of missing tooth aswell luckily, so pulled that out and put it all back together so i can least move my car aroung if need be.

still drives alright just get a slight clunk round corners every so often.

so what I was wondering was if anyone has had the same problem and the best solution for it and if anyone had a wreaked diff with a good gear on it to rebuild mine if possable

cheers

justin

yea its the spider gear,

according to the net its a 2.93:1 and is a medium case.

had a bit of difficulty with the lsd unit originally because the crown gear is thinner so woundnt line up right so had to get a replacment

Cheap diff on trademe

diffy diffy

Yea saw that, and the local wreaker has one too but unsure weather that the 320 unit would fit. would have sweet accelleration tho ^_^ . . .

will bolt straight into your car I believe.

thats a small case diff , no good . yours will be a medium case diff (different driveshaft and axles flanges etc) . can do a 3.15 medium case diff from a 325i manual