Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Oil Cooler Thermostat

does the stock e30 325i oil cooler have a thermostat? just wondering.....

No

But if you don't believe me take a long hard look at the EPC

Yes.. If it's not a thermostat whats the thing that opens when oil temp comes up? as on mine oil isn't being pumped through the cooler when it's cold.

It's the bit on the filter head often prone to leaking. I could be wrong but I bought a new seal for it from C/J BMW

cheers Matt

basically what im saying, does oil flow through the oil cooler when its cold ie all the time, or only when i reaches a certain temp

if its got more pressure when its cold tim, and less when warm would that indicate a thermostat?

when it heats up the v....(cant think of the word) of the oil changes.

when the oil is cold. it is dense and think. when it warms up the oil increases in volume and becomes less dence. therefore pessure drops.

that is my understanding. if someone can prove me wrong, i will stand corrected.

when it heats up the v....(cant think of the word) of the oil changes.

when the oil is cold. it is dense and think. when it warms up the oil increases in volume and becomes less dence. therefore pessure drops.

that is my understanding. if someone can prove me wrong, i will stand corrected.

word.... temperature rises, viscousity of the oil changes... laymans terms-it gets thinner.... harder for the oil pump to hold at high pressure as it escapes through oil galleries easier...

basically what im saying, does oil flow through the oil cooler when its cold ie all the time, or only when i reaches a certain temp

Oil flow through the oil cooler on a 325 is thermostatically controlled (the valve is the thing under the oil filter where the pipes go off to the oil cooler) but a small amount of oil does go through even when the car is cold.

Oil flow through the oil cooler on a 325 is thermostatically controlled (the valve is the thing under the oil filter where the pipes go off to the oil cooler) but a small amount of oil does go through even when the car is cold.
Stupid EPC, it says nothing about it being a thermostat although i'm not surprised, I need a Bentleys.

Does anyone actually have a spare mount - I need a new one, unless someone has a spare.