Sign in to follow this  
Wireless

Traction control problem

Hey Guys. I'm new here.

I've searched heaps but just cannot find the answer to my problem and no one seems to have the same issue as what I have so hopefully someone here will be able to help me.

I have a E39 540i 1998 the problem is the traction control.

When I bought the car the light (traction control light) would come on as soon as the wheels would spin, and eventually it came to the point where it would stay on every time the car was on.

I had it scanned and replaced (sorry not sure of the name of it) that servo motor (the traction control one) that pulls the butterfly valve via a cable. However I replaced it with a 2nd hand one that was meant to be working ok.

Anyway it half fixed the problem, now what happens is, the traction control will work as normal, the light will flash when its working and it will cut the power to the engine like normal, however about 5 seconds after this happening, the traction control light comes back on and stays on and it won't work anymore, that is until I turn the car off for a while and then the same process repeats.

car is JDM

Sorry for the wall of text

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Wireless

your location will assist in recommending fixes

Edited by _Mark_

In Auckland.

Will look into it again, but just was hoping that someone has had a similar issue in the past and may know the answer, before I start paying out again...

I have read somewhere before that the DSC module can suffer from dry solder joints causing issues with the DSC.

That would be a fix I could do myself at no cost. However I'm not sure if that is the problem here as people with those issues complained of the ABS light being on too..

anyway

Thanks

I have read somewhere before that the DSC module can suffer from dry solder joints causing issues with the DSC.

That would be a fix I could do myself at no cost. However I'm not sure if that is the problem here as people with those issues complained of the ABS light being on too..

I had dry join issues with the ABS / DSC module on my 530i recently.

It randomly displayed either one or two fault indicators on the dash, usually after car sat after a drive, and the heat from manifold heated up the module, with no cooling air passing.

Even though I deal with soldering and electronics all day, I decided to send this job out, as Web research said the job was tricky, with hard to remove sealant and very high temperature soldering needed - as a new module is somewhere near $1500 I felt best to leave the job to the experts, and I really did not want to risk my life with bad brakes <_<

I sent mine to www.anythingelectronic.co.nz , although they do not deal with public, so you will need to send it via trade. I believe there are businesses in Auckland who do this job also - do a search on this forum as it has been mentioned before.

Best of luck.

has it got normal size wheels and tyres...perhaps there is a discrepancy between front and rear?Not sure what that would trigger but it sorta make sense that the tc would think something is up

has it got normal size wheels and tyres...perhaps there is a discrepancy between front and rear?Not sure what that would trigger but it sorta make sense that the tc would think something is up

all wheels are 18 inch, not sure if that would be the problem though? I got it scanned by some guys for free but they are a little hard to understand, they replaced that servo motor the first time with a 2nd hand one and they say its the same problem again? although the problem is a little bit different from the first one (not working at all) to the problem now (works one time then stays off)

do you guys think I should try replacing it again?

do you guys think I should try replacing it again?

No.... get it scanned by someone with a brain that you can communicate with

No.... get it scanned by someone with a brain that you can communicate with

+1