Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

Battery Losing Power

About a month ago i gave some one a jump start with the touring. Before the jump start the car always started immediately after i turned the key, after i did the jump start i noticed that it seemed to sluggish on the start and now over the weekend it wouldnt start, battery just didnt have enough juice.

Put it on trickle charge over night, fully charged it up and was working fine until this morning when it was time for work dead again.

Have I stuffed something up? Battery? Alternator? (Guessing here)

The car I jump started was a 2002 SS Holden, could this have sucked too much out of the battery and have now caused the battery to not hold charge?

Appreciate any help

Check the charge rate..should be about 13.7-14 Volts. Then do a load test on the battery. How old is the battery ?

Cheers Glenn, no idea of age of battery but it does not look old.

Will do charge rate test tonight, what do you mean by load test?

Is that where you turn the lights on while car is running and then turn the car off to check that they dim?

You can get proper load testers, it puts a load on the battery and then you measure how long it takes to drop below a certain voltage. Take it to an auto sparky, alot of the time they will do a load test for free.

You can get proper load testers, it puts a load on the battery and then you measure how long it takes to drop below a certain voltage. Take it to an auto sparky, alot of the time they will do a load test for free.

Super Cheap should do this for free, they did it for me.

exact same thing happened to me. Funnily enough I even Jump started a holden (and left the radio going while working on the car) :)

At one point I had to charge it every night and it would lose charge in a few hours. After a few days of this it just gave in and I had to get a new battery. I'm assuming the battery was getting old. My alternator doesn't charge as expected under FULL load, but the new battery hasn't caused me any grief.