Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

Sony Xplod headunit

Hey Everyone,,

Brought and instaalled some speakers for the e30 yesterday.. Got a chance to test them out today and when putting the stereo on full it turned off. It has done that before (when i only had 2 speakers) and would turn straight back on after 3 seconds. However now its not turning on at all with the 4 speakers. Ive checkd fuse 28 which is apparently radio and ciggarete lighter which is fine. Also ciggarete lighter still works so fuse is defieantly ok. Also the 10 amp fuse on the back on the stereo is ok.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mitch

Hey Everyone,,

Brought and instaalled some speakers for the e30 yesterday.. Got a chance to test them out today and when putting the stereo on full it turned off. It has done that before (when i only had 2 speakers) and would turn straight back on after 3 seconds. However now its not turning on at all with the 4 speakers. Ive checkd fuse 28 which is apparently radio and ciggarete lighter which is fine. Also ciggarete lighter still works so fuse is defieantly ok. Also the 10 amp fuse on the back on the stereo is ok.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mitch

Does it do it at lower volumes?

Sounds like its going into thermal shut down. You could have a short in the speaker wires or it could just not have the right about of power for the speakers.

Found the problem... There was an inline fuse in the circuit.. All replaced and going smooth now :)

Thanks for your help anyway

Think it may have Xpoded when you cranked it to full.

Found the problem... There was an inline fuse in the circuit.. All replaced and going smooth now :)

Thanks for your help anyway

where did you find that as mine is doing the exact same thing!

where did you find that as mine is doing the exact same thing!

Inline fuse is a bustard to find. My one was under my heater control panel. It is in the shape of a bullet and in a plastic cylinder. Mine was white, it may be different for other cars though.

Don't know if I should be starting a new topic for this, but when I turn my stereo up loudish, the bass cuts out. When I was in the shop testing out the speakers before I bought them, they went a lot louder than what I had it at. Brand new head deck and speakers? If any one could help this would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know if I should be starting a new topic for this, but when I turn my stereo up loudish, the bass cuts out. When I was in the shop testing out the speakers before I bought them, they went a lot louder than what I had it at. Brand new head deck and speakers? If any one could help this would be greatly appreciated!

Depends what headunit they used in the shop, as it sounds like your overloading your headunits internal amp. Causes it to shut down while it cools, then starts up again later on. Or just stays off till you lower the volume to something it can handle.

If it is that, then the best solution is to run the speakers off an external amp, 2channel if its just the rears, or 4channel if you want all four.

Cheack the earth wire from the headunit. Symptoms you have are usual for:

1. Bad power or earth wiring.

2. Speakers are wrong impedance for amplifier

Great guys! Thank you very much, I think it is the head deck, I am buying a much better one tomorrow, as i think the one i bought was a cheapie, being only $100..

B)

Great guys! Thank you very much, I think it is the head deck, I am buying a much better one tomorrow, as i think the one i bought was a cheapie, being only $100..

B)

What head-deck did you buy? As I know a lot of them these days all have about the same power, around 52w per channel. Its about the max they can squeeze in there. (54w headunits do exist too, slightly rarer.) Generally most shops in their displays run the bigger speakers (6x9s etc) off an amp, I know supercheap does :P.

What head-deck did you buy? As I know a lot of them these days all have about the same power, around 52w per channel. Its about the max they can squeeze in there. (54w headunits do exist too, slightly rarer.) Generally most shops in their displays run the bigger speakers (6x9s etc) off an amp, I know supercheap does :P.

Now have a Sony head deck, not sure of the model, anyone know of any good places to get the sound system all check out, running four 5 1/4" Sony speakers, and one of the fusion 2 x 12" sub cannon in the boot, installed it myself, probably wasn't the best job done. When changing between songs on a cd it makes a bassy sort of noise (awful explaining i know), any tips would be appreciated, and if any one knows of some one who deals specifically with these on the cheap, would be good to take to..

Cheers

Raerae