Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

e36 Break Upgrade

Hi everyone.

Just thinking of getting a break upgrade but want to save money (like most of us here do). I am wondering, whether it make sense to buy a new, uprated front rotor, then shift the old front rotor to the rear. Since most fronts are bigger and more powerful than rear anyway.

Also would like to know is it true that a LVV cert is needed for any break upgrade?

Best "bang for your buck" on a E36 would be to get the front brakes off a E46 330i (325x25mm) and the rears off a E46 328i (300x20) as they bolt straight on.

You can also use E46 328i front rotors (300x22) with your stock calipers if you buy new carriers (the bit the caliper slides in) from a E46 328i.

Glenn, your using E36 front struts aren't you? Why did you go for the brembos instead of the upgrade you mentioned above? easier to find the brembos or better stopping or something else? Just interested...

Edited by petone

Glenn, your using E36 front struts aren't you? Why did you go for the brembos instead of the upgrade you mentioned above? easier to find the brembos or better stopping or something else? Just interested...

I'd assume it's because the brembos Glenn has are 4 pots and have far superior stopping power, not exactly the best bang for your buck like the E46 ones :)

Shame it's not that easy to upgrade the E30 brakes.

I'd assume it's because the brembos Glenn has are 4 pots and have far superior stopping power, not exactly the best bang for your buck like the E46 ones :)

No, it is because Glenn is a brake whore, there was nothing wrong with the old setup. I give the new setup 6 months max (from today, so prolly around 3 weeks of actual drive time) before it is upgraded.

Actually, don't tell anyone, but I heard him muttering about leading 6pot calipers and trailing 4 pots on 355mm X5 discs for the front :ph34r:

No, it is because Glenn is a brake whore, there was nothing wrong with the old setup. I give the new setup 6 months max (from today, so prolly around 3 weeks of actual drive time) before it is upgraded.

Actually, don't tell anyone, but I heard him muttering about leading 6pot calipers and trailing 4 pots on 355mm X5 discs for the front :ph34r:

What a brake slut :blink:

:finger:

Mike:

I didn't think they'd cut it!!

So I went bigger.

The 330i calipers aren't very common in wreakers here yet, prolly get a pair out of the US/Europe easy enough.

I forgot to mention the 330i 325x25mm rotors are only $125ea from BMW!!