Sign in to follow this  
Damo

project tow the track car

Hi guys,

picked up a slightly tired 740il to a-frame the 335i turbo to the track - finally!

Has WOF and rego, but no reverse :)

I have had a look around and am weighing up my rebuild options, has anyone successfully done a no reverse repair themselves here, or should I be the guinea pig?

EDIT: pics now attached

post-168-1296067643.jpg

post-168-1296067677.jpg

Edited by Damo

i know someone who can repair it , just done a e34 540i with the same problem

do you also have a green Vauxhall Chevette on gold rims?

Edited by DRTDVL

do you also have a green Vauxhall Chevette on gold rims?

not a chance - though I do know someone with a chevette HSR replica? I have a fiat 850 in the same colour scheme if that is what you are thinking of. I dont think the motor and gearbox out of either would make a good fix for the 740 though :)

i know someone who can repair it , just done a e34 540i with the same problem

Howdy Brent, long time no speak! rough idea of the cost there? I am weighing up just chucking in an M30b35 setup from pick a part and selling off the V8 parts if I cannot fix the box for less than what the car cost (parts value really).

Also quite keen to take on the rebuild challenge, done plenty of motors and gearboxes, no auto trans work though :)

Ahh all good I use to see your e30 at my gym all the time - thought you might have the chevette now.

Ahh all good I use to see your e30 at my gym all the time - thought you might have the chevette now.

Clearly we go to the same gym - I am guessing you mistake the fiat 850 for a chevette? I am at the gym every weekday from around 4:30

After a quick googlilage yup i am... I pointed it out to my GF last week and she loves it.

We usually get there towards 6ish after work...

I have got a auto box from a 1997 740i that I dont need if thats anygood to you?

I have got a auto box from a 1997 740i that I dont need if thats anygood to you?

Sounds great - I have PM'd you

97 740i is an e38 with an m62?, i'm not sure how compatible that is with your e32

Sounds great - I have PM'd you

97 740i is an e38 with an m62?, i'm not sure how compatible that is with your e32

correct , wont work , different electical plug ,shifter cable set up , electrics and valve body inside etc .

maybe you could use some of the mechcanical parts from the later type to fix yours???

you will have to get one from a e34 540i or e32 740i to be able to just bolt in

Correct - its a 5HP24 not a 5HP30. Worth investigating in case reverse drums are compatible, as I am yet to see anyone with a 5HP30 around yet!