Sign in to follow this  
daveandharry

Wanted e39 Mark II jap navi DVD

Hi, I'm looking for an original or copy DVD for a Jap import e39 with the Mark II navigation system. My car came without the DVD and as a consequence I can't get into the navi menu or service menu to turn on RDS and change other options. Can anyone help with a copy - they often get chucked out so I'm hoping someone has one they could send or copy for me.

Hi, I'm looking for an original or copy DVD for a Jap import e39 with the Mark II navigation system. My car came without the DVD and as a consequence I can't get into the navi menu or service menu to turn on RDS and change other options. Can anyone help with a copy - they often get chucked out so I'm hoping someone has one they could send or copy for me.

you are best to remove the drive itself (just unplug it and biff it away), the video will controlled by the tv module and look completely different.

RDS option is not accessed from the nav menu.

what year is your E39? it will depend on the radio unit fitted. early jap units dont have RDS. later units (BM53) have world tuner so you can change to NZ freq's etc..

I do have a jap nav disc but it wont help you do anything at all.

also, you can change the nav drive to work in NZ, if you are interested..

Cheers Dean

0274 927 277

you are best to remove the drive itself (just unplug it and biff it away), the video will controlled by the tv module and look completely different.

RDS option is not accessed from the nav menu.

what year is your E39? it will depend on the radio unit fitted. early jap units dont have RDS. later units (BM53) have world tuner so you can change to NZ freq's etc..

I do have a jap nav disc but it wont help you do anything at all.

also, you can change the nav drive to work in NZ, if you are interested..

Cheers Dean

0274 927 277

Hi Dean, It's a 2001 e39 540i M-Sport with the Mark II DVD navi system in the boot.

In short, my screen is split with the left 3rd displaying navi info but because there is no DVD in the drive it's just blank. When I select navi mode it just displays a screen with FAIL on it. I was reading on other sites that with the correct Jap disk I can then access the menu to change the display options. I also read that the RDS feature is turned on and off the navi menu.

I've tried 4 different combinations of key presses to access the service menu but can't seem to get it.

What do you think?

Some background info.

I had a Dension gateway 300 in my 1998 E46, which I replaced a year ago with a Dynavin system (which is sweet).

When I purchased the E39 recently I decided I'd wait to see which retro system works best, Dynavin or Hualingan before I committed. In the meantime I put the Gateway in the E39 (went in a treat with all the SW controls etc working perfect.

So now I have the Gateway in the e39 but there is no CD text (which displayed fine in the older E46) So I figured I could turn that on via the service menu and I'm also keen to turn off the split screen showing useless navi info.

It's here that I'm stuck and my investigations led me to believe I need to access the navi menu to sort at least one of the issues.

unplug the nav drive lock the car leave it for 15mins (so that it goes to sleep)... alternatively pull the battery. then go turn the monitor on and it should have defaulted to a non-nav setup.

unplug the nav drive lock the car leave it for 15mins (so that it goes to sleep)... alternatively pull the battery. then go turn the monitor on and it should have defaulted to a non-nav setup.

Ok thanks, I've done that and now have the non-navi display and set menu (which is unchanged from before). I briefly tried a couple of the service menu commands but no luck.

How can I get into that menu or tell if it's even RDS capable?

is it running a NZ capable tuner or are you using a band expander? if the later i'm pretty sure you wont get RDS.

Can you supply the build date of the car? or the last 7 digits of the vin.

Ok thanks, I've done that and now have the non-navi display and set menu (which is unchanged from before). I briefly tried a couple of the service menu commands but no luck.

How can I get into that menu or tell if it's even RDS capable?

I'm pretty sure its not RDS. I'd say you have a C23 japan radio. This cannot be changed to get NZ freq's and does not have RDS.

the cheapest option would be to get a BM24 off ebay. straight plug and play..

otherwise get a BM54 which is the later version radio, this will give you Aux in etc. it needs an adaptor cable because the BM54 has flat pins where now your car has round pins on the radio plug.. its the better unit if you go down the nav fitment road.

D

is it running a NZ capable tuner or are you using a band expander? if the later i'm pretty sure you wont get RDS.

Can you supply the build date of the car? or the last 7 digits of the vin.

The number is GF12789

The number is GF12789

ok so that was build Feb 2001.

This means it does not have the newer 'world tuner' (BM54).

The Dealer will have installed a band expander to make the jap radio module pickup NZ stations, but will still display the jap freq on the monitor. RDS will not work through this. ..... IMO this is also a really crappy way of getting the radio to work.

If it was me i would remove the band expander and fit a BM24(older) or BM54(newer) radio module (located in the boot) which is capable of doing NZ radio frequencys properly.

ok so that was build Feb 2001.

This means it does not have the newer 'world tuner' (BM54).

The Dealer will have installed a band expander to make the jap radio module pickup NZ stations, but will still display the jap freq on the monitor. RDS will not work through this. ..... IMO this is also a really crappy way of getting the radio to work.

If it was me i would remove the band expander and fit a BM24(older) or BM54(newer) radio module (located in the boot) which is capable of doing NZ radio frequencys properly.

Thanks Matt, Appreciate the help