Sign in to follow this  
decebal

e46 AirCon question...

Hey guys,a few days ago drove to work, all good, aircon pumping in my e46 320i msport. When I started the car about 8 hours later, and turned aircon on, the right buttons were lit up and display showed the fan and level but no air came out at all! Turned it off and started driving home...tried turning it on during the drive but again no air. After I got home I had to leave again about an hour later, and voila the aircon was working again...properly...hot/cold both. Since then I've had no issues what so ever. It's been perfect.

Im asking whether I should be worried about this and take it in to Jeff Gray or someone similar in wellie for someone to have a look at? I still got about 5 months on an autosure warranty and thought might be better to get something fixed now if it's something electrical / underlying problem...

I had a look on forums but haven't spotted a case where it just doesn't work for a wee while and then it's sweet...unlike the bmw business cd player that get CDs stuck, doesn't work expect on radio and after a thump it's all good :P ahhh bmw...still love them.

Any word of advice would be appreciated!

Final stage resistor block is faulty--- Autosure should cover it... Get it into Jeff Gray

Could also be ignition switch if the radio goes off with it at the same time- voltage drop in ACC circuit

Edited by *Glenn*

Heater resistor failure is common as muck, replaced so many on BMWs.

Final stage resistor block is faulty--- Autosure should cover it... Get it into Jeff Gray

Could also be ignition switch if the radio goes off with it at the same time- voltage drop in ACC circuit

Thanks Glenn I did do some more research and pretty sure it's the final stage resistor block...typical of what was happening. The radio was fine at the time! I saw some detailed instructions and I could easily replace it myself but I'd rather just take it in since it's covered by warranty. I'm just skeptical I'll go in for them to check it and it will be fine at the time since now it's working great...until next time I guess.

Heater resistor failure is common as muck, replaced so many on BMWs.

Yeah I wasn't sure what it was but after looking at final stage resistor found hundreds of forum posts..will be replacing it soon.

Cheers guys!

Thanks Glenn I did do some more research and pretty sure it's the final stage resistor block...typical of what was happening. The radio was fine at the time! I saw some detailed instructions and I could easily replace it myself but I'd rather just take it in since it's covered by warranty. I'm just skeptical I'll go in for them to check it and it will be fine at the time since now it's working great...until next time I guess.

E46 resistors are one of the more difficult resistors to replace, they have a T20 screw in a secret squirrel hiding place, i had to make a special tool just to get it, i recommend getting someone who's done one before to do it.

E46 resistors are one of the more difficult resistors to replace, they have a T20 screw in a secret squirrel hiding place, i had to make a special tool just to get it, i recommend getting someone who's done one before to do it.

Fair enough. My excess on warranty is about $300 so it's well worth getting it done professionaly and with a new part. Thanks for the advice!

I had to make a special tool just to get it, i recommend getting someone who's done one before to do it.

Once youve been there longer Greg you will have tools under you to do that sort of thing :P

Ha, we bit of a wait i'd say, i still thoroughly enjoy it!