Sign in to follow this  
Nate

M50 Economy Question.

New Member here - sorry if this has been posted regularly/recentley :mellow:

Can you guys help me with the following please?

I've just brought a 91 E36 with the 2 litre M50 mated to a 5 box automatic engine in it. I filled her up last night on premium and I chucked in a bottle of injector cleaner (probably a Wyns product, I can't remember exactly) because I suspect the previous owner hasn't given the car the treatment it deserves. I'm quite shocked to see that the car has done 120k's and is already at the 3/4 mark. I was expecting to see a decrease in economy over the 4AGZE Toyota AW11 I was driving previously, but I'm quite concerned that my new baby is going to bankrupt me if it sucks down the gas that quickly. I've literally trundled it around, keeping the "efficiency" gauge at 20 as often as possible, in fact I haven't pushed the car over 110k on the motorway or taken off at a set of lights like I'm so used to doing in the MR2 - and yes, I have the car set in Economy mode -

Do I need to find another job to sustain my BMW habit, or can you think of a few things that I could do to fix the issue? I've just researched that the battery in the car may be worth looking at, and I plan to replace the air filter on Saturday and give her an oil change while I'm at it, but if you could offer any suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Regards

Nate

Edited by Nate

gauge might not be giving a true quarter of the tanks volume..... do a whole tank then work it out mathematically, you may be surprised....

my laurel uses te "first quarter" in 20km, sure it says it's a quarter of the tank but in reality it's f**k all, half way to empty takes forever :rolleyes:

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. This is the first car I've had that is dent free and somewhat "respectable" (Wolseley Hornet, Skyline GT, Honda Accord, AW11...) and i want to do the right things by it.

Thinking about it, the MR2 gauge wouldn't move for the first 150, then it would drop to empty in a blink.

Keep em coming '

E36 320's are prolly the most un-economical for their engine size.

My sisters E36 325i does ~500km/tank around town, easy 600km on the open road.

E36 320's are prolly the most un-economical for their engine size.

My sisters E36 325i does ~500km/tank around town, easy 600km on the open road.

I was shocked with the fuel consumption in this car. My old car was a 2.2 VTEc and I was always driving hitting VTEC and that did 500kms a week.

The 320i only gets 400 off about 50-60 litres of petrol :o I love the car though, I suppose being 5spd auto doesn't help... It's great in traffic though.

Put some pics up Nate.

Wolseley Hornet

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I was always driving hitting VTEC

:gay:

j/k :P

lol, I've found that the more economic cars I've had have been the ones with a more "performance oriented" engine - 13b turbo rx7, 4age ae86, blah blah blah... more effortless to get around I guess

Edited by CaM

Plan to put pictures up on the weekend.

If anyone wants to buy an 87 Supercharged MR2 PM me and I'll send you the TM number (hope I'm allowed to do that... go easy, I'm new here).

CaM, some performance mods do actually increase the engine efficiency which in turn increases the fuel efficiency. The down side is most of these also lead to heavy pedal usage and terribgle economy!!!

Hahaha, anyway, listen to me dispense some useless advice which may or may not help :)

stick in a more economic diff, will lose acceleration but you'll save on fuel

do a manual conversion to get better economy as we all know older auto boxes suck the gas

look at changing your intake and exhaust setup, remove any catalytic converters you may have

advance your timing to get more efficiency from your fuel, a bit impossible though without a new chip

CaM, some performance mods do actually increase the engine efficiency which in turn increases the fuel efficiency. The down side is most of these also lead to heavy pedal usage and terribgle economy!!!

Hahaha, anyway, listen to me dispense some useless advice which may or may not help :)

stick in a more economic diff, will lose acceleration but you'll save on fuel

do a manual conversion to get better economy as we all know older auto boxes suck the gas

look at changing your intake and exhaust setup, remove any catalytic converters you may have

advance your timing to get more efficiency from your fuel, a bit impossible though without a new chip

Who's good at stripping cats here in Welly?

And what would I be paying for the conversion? - ball park of course -

nate, dont gut your cat, instead get it taken out completely... gutted catylic convertors make some cars sound like brass razoos.... for a fairly princely sum you could get a cat replacement pipe made up, the way emmissions sh*t for wofs is goin it might be advantageous to be able to put a cat back in at short notice ;)

not too hard to gut them yourself, just dont gt the platinum (i think thats what it is) on ya, apparently does nasty things....

theres an exhaut shop in palmy/feilding somewhere that will take out your cat and put in a piece of straight pipe, as long as they get the cat... maybe worth askin an exhaust shop down your way.... they cash the cats in for scrap, worth a few bucks

yeah w3rd, that is the point of mods-making your engine make better use of the energy it produces, and produce more to begin with :D

vtec was an economy tool, and an environmentally safe marketing tool back in the day... I remember the tv ads with sir edmund hillary blahing on....

Ahhhh, after having mine all fixed up last week Im thumping around all over the place now......14.6 mpg is the result :(

Ahhhh, after having mine all fixed up last week Im thumping around all over the place now......14.6 mpg is the result :(
Isn't 14.6 mpg really good for your whale? Damn car is thirstier than you :)

Hey, there's an extra fuel tank on TradeMe at the mo should you need one...

sheesh no he would needa mortgageto fill up...cost me 99 bucks i tauraunga the other day,about 65 litres of 98 and a litre of oil........

Haha I put 40 pinga in mine yesterday from almost empty and the needle is still below halfway <_<

We should get a Bimmersport fuel club going! Surely there is some kind of discount for fleet fuel purchases?

Who's good at stripping cats here in Welly?

And what would I be paying for the conversion? - ball park of course -

Should've said earlier, I along with Ian have used Tuffy's auto in Lower Hutt for doing exhaust work...did a nice job on replacing my cat with a couple of resonators