Sign in to follow this  
powerbass

Looking at getting this

Depends what your after, if its just for SLOW crusing then a 728i would be ok, but if you want to enjoy the driving experience you really need to go for the 740i V8 otherwise your not going to enjoy it anywhere near as much.

They aren't that fast even with the V8, but its the nice smooth power delivery you want, a 2.8 is going to have to rev a lot harder to pull a heavy car like that along, which would be even more noticable on open road drives.

Tempting to go for a 2000/2001 728i, being that they look the best and are the last 2 years of production, but I would suggest going for the most new 740i you can afford.

M52 TU motors are actually quite torquey even in a big tank like this, they don't go bad at all.

Yeah that is true, but for a car of that class it's under performing taking around 10 seconds to get to 100km/h in my opinion.

I'd assume they would be tipping the scales of 1750kg on the road so with 280nm peak torque, that only leaves 110hp per tonne / 160nm per tonne.

Most luxury sedans do 6-8 seconds to the 100 mark, which is much more acceptable. My 1990 LS400 V8 took 8 seconds flat, which was fairly commendable, any slower would have been undesirable and that had 140hp per tonne / 200nm per tonne.

Depends what angle you're looking at it from though, if you don't care about the performance then the engine is irrelevant.

1900kg i think. They are a cool looking car and would be a great cruiser but yeah a V8 would be the way to go.

Yeah just looking for a nice looking cruiser, not to worried about performance

Hopefully get a chance to check it out tomorrow.

Where would you recommend going for a pre-purchase inspection in Auckland?

Thank you in advance for everyones help.

Get it checked by Glenn at Botany - forum sponsor on here

If you just want a cruiser - this will be fine. No rocket ship but quite ok

^ what hotwire said, do not take it to any old mechanic or the AA

also it has no wof or rego at the moment.

Mandatory pre-purchase inspection, but that's a hell of alot of car for 10k.

After a second look, that is a very nice car indeed, the KMs are low for these motors, the odd air leak is really the only thing that happens to the motor.

ahh self leveling shocks.... you should get those checked. if they are worn they cost 600+ each...