Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

New alternator e39

I need a new alternator for my e39 (facelift).

Have been quoted $1170 + GST from the local stealers and about $90 cheaper than that from a local auto electrician.

What are my options in purchasing it cheaper without the stealer markup, importing my own parts is out of the question unless i could get it here by middle of next week.

Any help would be appreciated.

If Christmas and New Year werent expensive enough already.....

Cheers,

Hamish

It would also be prudent to replace the battery as well if it's over 3 years old for warranty on the alternator

Nice huh?

Whats wrong with it? Not charging or bad bearings etc?

Give me better info and I'll price it from here. At that price it must be a water cooled alternator for a 540 ??

Would a used one from Ray or Brent be an option in the interim ??

Give me better info and I'll price it from here. At that price it must be a water cooled alternator for a 540 ??

Yes Glenn, its a water cooled unit. Apparently BMW do not make this part anymore, you can only get a BOSCH part which is a beefier/better version of the original.

The guy doing the work is reputable and i've told him im just going to have a hunt for a price.

Westy - alternator is poked, hes taken it right out and its not a simple case of replaceing the bushes. Happened to me over New Years, battery light started flickering then stayed on, then she died on me (over a 2 hour period)as i was doing 100kph around a corner. Rather odd feeling when the car starts jerking about at that speed. Initially i thought the battery was a goner becasue i had had some problems with it in the past.

Camera Doctor - I would rather new.

Cheers for the replies so far.

Give Euro Italian a call, they are a forum sponsor and he might be able to bring them in.

rare as hens teeth when I was looking for one for bro's 740-& expensive, even used. Bet that makes you feel better lolzzzz