Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Thinking about switching AMI to state

Thinking about switching AMI to state, new car 2004 facelift 735Li, any experience in dealing with state? claims etc? cheers.

Why do you switch from AMI? I have only heard good things about AMI and bad things about State.

I found State to be ok, was quite cheap to start with but then after the 1st year they devalued my car by $4500 and yet my premiums went up a good 65 to 70%

NZI and Vero only cost slightly more and have a much better claims paying rep, I only left NZI coz they're rather picky about mods

[edit] in the first few months with State I had a crash and the claim was a touch over $5000 worth

they sorted the claim nice and quick and there were no issues

Edited by Wom

Why do you switch from AMI? I have only heard good things about AMI and bad things about State.

AMI's refusing to insure me given my age. Even though my history is impeccable and haven't claimed once! I also have a feeling if they did insure me it would be at least $1300 whereas State are doing it for $1100ish.

Kinda happy I didn't go for the 745, would have only made things worse!

I went with State after doing a ring around , I was with tower before that and State came in at the cheapest by over 50% , I do however have my house and contents through them as well.

Just recently when I had to have my windscreen replaced I said no to the cheap Chinese knockoff and waited 2 months for a genuine oem one to come in and they paid for it no problems what so ever.

I no longer use state for any of my insurance, i pulled it all away from them as they d**ked me round multiple times.

The first time was when my 08' GSXR600 was stolen, they thought i was taking the piss and hired a PI. Took me around just over 4 months to get a settlement. Similar things happened when i crashed my altezza, 3 months + to receive payment.

To make it worse, when i purchased my 09' GSXR750 two years ago they told me it was insured all fine, paperwork was 'in the mail'. Turns out they cancelled my insurance and put it on hold, and didnt tell me. The bike was apparently too big for my age bracket and the person should never have insured it. So i rode round on a uninsured bike for a month until i queried where my paperwork was only to be told oh 'we never insured you anyway' even though i was told i was.

That was enough for me. Never go back to state again.

And don't get me started on the exorbitant premiums.

AMI's refusing to insure me given my age. Even though my history is impeccable and haven't claimed once! I also have a feeling if they did insure me it would be at least $1300 whereas State are doing it for $1100ish.

Kinda happy I didn't go for the 745, would have only made things worse!

I suggest looking at Clic or NAC if you are having trouble because of your age (although you pay a high premium at times).

AA were amazing when i purchased my e46 and had the vehicle fixed within a few weeks when the lady hit it. Two thumbs up in my books.

State suck, they tried to do me for insurance fraud when I was 18, car insured under mothers name with me as a driver, had an accident, they sent me bill for 8k 6mths afterwards (out of the blue!). Broke the headlight on the R32 and apparently wrote off the late 80's galant! Eventually got lawyers involved and we won, but I wouldnt touch state with a barge poll now.

Around the same time I was working at panel beater, they were constantly complaining about state never paying the bill, or that state had decided to only pay x much to repair a car (which meant halfass jobs to meet the budget)

I remember one new VW beetle that sat in the shop for months as state wouldnt pay what it would cost to fix it...

Edited by Jacko

Agreed, State blows...

I wrote off my GSXR1000 a couple years back when some stupid cow cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes forcing me into her boot. PC Plod turned up and fined me for 'failure to stop in the visible distance ahead'.

Tried explaining to State that the copper was a d*ck and it wasn't my fault, they took the attitude that if the copper had fined me then it was obviously my fault and reamed me for the full excess.

Any insurance company that is unwilling to listen to my side of the story doesn't get my business.

All I am reading is situations that happen in every insurance company. They deal with insurance fraud on a daily bases so you can understand why they are cautious. Also if they gave every young guy with a fast car insurance and didnt ask for a high premiums they wouldnt make any money. And they dont just pay what the panel beaters tells them it costs they arent new to the industry and they want the most for their money. As do any of us. However panel beaters have a fair idea what they would pay.

I have had bad and good experiences with insurance, the best thing to do is shop around it is some times amazing the difference in price.

Also they change policies often so you may notice what once you were covered for now you may not be so double check.

AMI and State are the top companies. State has been good to me when my car was written off, when another had malicious damage. And I just took out a new policy with my new car.

I found States insurance quotes quite weird.

I called to get a quote for a Holden Commodore as I found one quite cheap locally and wasn't going to agree to buy it till I worked out the insurance cost (I assumed, megabucks) 600 a year.

got a quote for my E30, 1,200 a year? WHAT?

State's on drugs.

My family are all with AMI, and we've had four vehicle payouts in the last 4 years. one at fault(mum), two not at fault (dad and i) and one arson.

all paid out within a week or two.

Personally I wouldn't go near state, I was with them for 4 years, no claims, no offenses and on my full, and when I rang them to notify them that I put on the 17inch Alpina Reps on my 325i they cancelled my policy on the spot as the vehicle was "too modified."

So I went to Tower and got a better deal for less.

That was my experience anyway...

Just recently switched to AMI., the premium was about 150 less than state.

Also state will decline insurance if you have mods over 1/3 the value of your car, so I'd not recommend quoting the wheels at the price they were when they were brand new (unless you bought them brand new of course).