Sign in to follow this  
BMWolf

M20B25 Head Torque Settings

hi guys can any one give me the correct torque settings for m20 head bolts and is it necessary to re torque after short running

New bolts every time, 30 Nm, then 90 degrees plus a further 90 degrees. That's for Torx head, hex head are apparently different - 40 Nm, wait 15 minutes then up to 60Nm, then engine to operating temp and add another 25 degrees turn. That's all according to Haynes anyhow. Has always worked for me, although I've only ever used the torx head.

This is the only correct way of doing it :

"New torx bolts every time, 30 Nm, then 90 degrees plus a further 90 degrees." No retorque required.

Allow engine to cool after initial running and recheck valve clearances though.

Edited by *Glenn*

And what ive found even better is replace the factory bolts with m10x110 long cap screws, pull them down to 65-70 ft/lb

Just wondering how are they better? The torx ones don't fail do they?

you get a better clamp with them and they are reusable and cheaper, its was common years ago to use in a race eng before companies like ARP were around.

you get a better clamp with them and they are reusable and cheaper, its was common years ago to use in a race eng before companies like ARP were around.

Thanks for all the replies. I may go with cap screws as I will not take the head off but just replace each bolt one at a time. The head gasket is fine and has done less than an hour of running. the main reason being I cannot be sure it was torqued correctly.

Wayne