Sign in to follow this  
B PORTN

e30 power steering swap

did a search but couldnt find any exact info...

for E30 1989 320i 6cylinder

which e30's come out with no power steering (if any)

and can i swap from power steering to manual?

cheers

316 & budget 318 had manual steering

cheers. is it a straight swap into my 320i? will i need the track rods from which ever rack i use?

Edited by B PORTN

My 85 M323 has no p/s ;)

why keep it?? im putting a 12a into my e30 and theres really no need for it. i also dont like the response power steering gives. feels sloppy :)

can anyone help with my question or am i just going to be told how i shouldnt do it because of this and that???

Simple swap, remove all the power steering bits and swap in a full manual rack. Make sure you get the steering linkage from the rack to the steering shaft for the manual rack, as it is longer than the power unit. You can keep your arms if you want, they are both the same.

Edited by Silver Fox

p/s in e30's is for woosies, id imagine with a little 12A in it'll still be quite light, as opposed to putting a real engine in :D

Edited by Jacko

haha fair enough mate thats your opinion. ive grown up around rotarys and owned a few and just love the shape of e30s, and i got mine dirt cheap ($300) so thought why not slap em together

What! No flame war!? Whats going on :o:P

Fair play, be sure to start a project thread, im not really a rotary hater, more a of a rotary bongo hater. Workmate has a 20B cosmo (mint, stock) that is pretty friggin cool for a mazda.

In all seriousness, I wouldnt worry about P/S either. I wonder what a quicker rack (e36 etc) without the p/s plumbing would be like with the lighter engine. Stock e30 rack has quite bus like ratio, feeling can be improved with suspension work though.

Edited by Jacko

i would start a project thread but dont have a garage or the money at the moment so its going to be a very slow build :(