Sign in to follow this  
Dogballs

Need a new Nav unit or radio module?

If any one needs or been thinking about a new MK4 DVD Navigation drive or a new BM54 dual tuner radio module.

I can supply these, BRAND NEW

Radio: BM54 part no.65126976963. with MP3 text etc $650 nzd

MK4 DVD Nav. Part no.65909176685. - latest version $900 nzd - includes 2010 nav disc!

check at your local dealer what these cost from BMW NZ!!

prices vary slightly with exchange rate etc

also can do conversions from japan nav ( ibus cars - E39, E46, E53 etc )

please ask any q's

Edited by Dogballs

Interested in the BM54 dude ... need one for the e39.

will contact ya when I get back from honeymoon in a week if thats cool ?

Could you source a complete e39 monitor/nav loom?

yes. if you are doing a complete retrofit you will need:

1.Monitor

2.loom

3.radio module

4.video module

5.Nav module

Depending on current equip, you may also need:

6. speaker amp

7. antenna amp

there are different levels of equipment. Cheapest complete retrofit would prob be about $3000 in parts, and up to $5000 for all the good bits...

PM me if you are keen, let me know what you have in your car already etc..

Cheers

Hi,

Have a NZ New 2001 X5 with C23 Radio, TV tuner, CD stacker, 16:9 and it did have a Bit II, but as it didn't work have a TCM on its way.

So, if I wanted to ad Nav, I need a computer and an antenna, and also a piece of wiring loom in the back?

Also the C23 Radio is an absolute pain as it doesn't (yet) work with the Intravee I got for it. is the BM54 the way to go? Is the C23 worth any thing to anyone (it in NZ frequencies)

Cheers Dave

Hi,

Have a NZ New 2001 X5 with C23 Radio, TV tuner, CD stacker, 16:9 and it did have a Bit II, but as it didn't work have a TCM on its way.

So, if I wanted to ad Nav, I need a computer and an antenna, and also a piece of wiring loom in the back?

Also the C23 Radio is an absolute pain as it doesn't (yet) work with the Intravee I got for it. is the BM54 the way to go? Is the C23 worth any thing to anyone (it in NZ frequencies)

Cheers Dave

yes to the parts for the nav. thats exactly what you need..

BM54, BM53, BM24 would all do you for what you want.. BM54 is the latest greatest etc..

Dean

yes to the parts for the nav. thats exactly what you need..

BM54, BM53, BM24 would all do you for what you want.. BM54 is the latest greatest etc..

Dean

BUT be aware of the difference:

If the car is pre-2001, then BM24 is a direct plug and play swapout.

Fitting BM53 and BM54 to a pre-2001 care requires a wiring loom adapter AND a new antenna amplifier

Fitting a BM24 to a post 2001 car is NOT recommended, as it is a backwards step, and the wiring loom adapters are not available.

The BM54 is the best choice of all three, it is the newest radio, with better nav voice override function, and MP3 CD changer capabilities as well as Aux-In functions.

BUT be aware of the difference:

If the car is pre-2001, then BM24 is a direct plug and play swapout.

Fitting BM53 and BM54 to a pre-2001 care requires a wiring loom adapter AND a new antenna amplifier

Fitting a BM24 to a post 2001 car is NOT recommended, as it is a backwards step, and the wiring loom adapters are not available.

The BM54 is the best choice of all three, it is the newest radio, with better nav voice override function, and MP3 CD changer capabilities as well as Aux-In functions.

When in 2001? Mine is 07/2001 and has the round radio pins on the c24?

09/01 was change. Round pins equate to BM24

You can upgrade to BM54 with adapter harness if you wish

09/01 was change. Round pins equate to BM24

You can upgrade to BM54 with adapter harness if you wish

Thanks gotcha, if its nice in the weekend, would it be possible to pick up a reversing camera? I wouldn't mind getting the MV Agusta out for some fresh air?

Sure can. PM me to organise. Cheers

When in 2001? Mine is 07/2001 and has the round radio pins on the c24?

C24 = old generation car. (Otherwise, you'd have a BM54 anyway, and could simply reprogram)

So BM24 is plug and play swap for the existing radio

BM54 requires new antenna amp and wiring loom adaptor

Hmmmm not always true, My old jap '00 e46 330i antenna worked fine with my BM54.

Hmmmm not always true, My old jap '00 e46 330i antenna worked fine with my BM54.

I disagree.

You would have gone from a diversity system with 3 antennas down to one default antenna, due to the loss of the diversity control signal when you upgraded to BM54

However, because you lived in Auckland, and had such incredibly strong FM signal levels, you never noticed.

Drive down country to Hamilton and the Waikato, where FM signal levels are much weaker, and then you really really notice the effect of having one antenna or 3. Makes a huge difference when you are experiencing FM signal fading

I always recommend keeping the complex and well engineered antenna system in original condition - if your car + radio was designed and built to utilise 3 FM antennas, then don't change it!

Nah it was fine down country and did a lot of driving back country driving in it as ange and I are into touring the country. It still had dual diversity plugs.

BM54 picked up 'channels on the move' and ordered them fine.

Not doubting what you're saying Jochen, just in my case it wasn't a problem ?

I disagree.

You would have gone from a diversity system with 3 antennas down to one default antenna, due to the loss of the diversity control signal when you upgraded to BM54.............................

Wow I learn so much when I read this forum. Ive got no idea how many antennas my radio uses except that the BM53 seems to have 1 coax going to it.

However along the same lines and those of you who know these things may be able to help..... When I first got my car I tuned all the local TV stations. (09/2001 E39 touring) I have noticed recently that TV1 is not received any more. TV1 is the only Low Band VHF channel down here. All the rest are either High Band VHF or UHF. Can anyone think of a reason that I might have lost reception on that one channel. From memory the Video tuner has 2 coaxs going to it

Cheers Dave

Wow I learn so much when I read this forum. Ive got no idea how many antennas my radio uses except that the BM53 seems to have 1 coax going to it.

However along the same lines and those of you who know these things may be able to help..... When I first got my car I tuned all the local TV stations. (09/2001 E39 touring) I have noticed recently that TV1 is not received any more. TV1 is the only Low Band VHF channel down here. All the rest are either High Band VHF or UHF. Can anyone think of a reason that I might have lost reception on that one channel. From memory the Video tuner has 2 coaxs going to it

Cheers Dave

The antenna thing... the early type radios C23, BM24 etc use a separate small coax for the signal wire to switch the antenna amp to use the best antenna length for the active freq ( AKA diversity antenna system ).

The later radios BM53 & BM54 changed from a dual coax system to a single coax from the radio to the antenna amp. the signal from the radio to the amp is sent through that one coax wire.

So.. If you have an old style antenna amp, with a new generation radio the diversity antenna system will not function.

as Jochen says it will still pick up stations ok if you are near the transmission tower,(auckalnd's skytower) but at distance or hilly terrain etc the reception performance is greatly reduced. - I've tried it in the Hawkes Bay and its hopeless!

you can pick up replacement antenna amps to upgrade fairly cheaply on ebay..

(the above applies to the standard head unit radios also, not just nav radios)

Cheers Dave

the tv1 thing maybe the "country selection". someone may have changed it from when you first tuned tv1

I found selecting "Austria" (not Australia) works best in the Hawkes Bay. I can receive all channels.. where as if you select a different country, you would only receive some channels.

Basically the different country option select different groups of channels for that country. (New Zealand isnt on the list, on any that I've seen anyway..)

someone else in the area may be able to compare what they use???

hope that helps..

I was originally told by Jochen to tune to either Austria (as you mention Dean) or PAL Europe.

Seems bloody illogical that they include all the almost unheard of little countries & not include NZ :blink:

That said - some vm's do include NZ - my 16:9 replacement does, as do a few others I have come across.

My original 4:3 didn't as don't most I have seen. There seems to be no ryme nor reason as to which do & which don't

Cheers Dave

Your TV tuner has 2 x coax cables because it too has 2 x antennas, and the tuner switches between them on the fly to get the best signal.

The correct setting is PAL Europe for the NZ channels, this allows reception of all VHF-1, VHF2, and UHF channels.

In Auckland, around 11 free to air TV stations were receivable.

Your quantity of stations will vary based on where you are in the country.

Note too that on some low spec cars, they had no antenna diversity system for the radio. This is generally true if the car was a low end low cost model fitted only with the Reverse RDS radio. As soon as a Professional RDS or Business RDS radio was fitted, then the car generally had the 3 x FM antennas (on some cars, only 2)

The FM antennas are generally all in the rear windscreen (except for convertibles)

The TV antennas are on the rear side windows - one each side.

Sometimes, an FM antenna is also on a side window

The AM antenna is the rear window heating element

Edited by jochen

I think the tv tuners will be useless once the old tv signals are replaced by freeview, we'll have to have freeview receivers in cars then......

I think the tv tuners will be useless once the old tv signals are replaced by freeview, we'll have to have freeview receivers in cars then......

The TV tuner provides multiple functions:

1. Analog TV reception

2. AV in eg for iPod movies

3. AV out eg for rear seat monitors

4. Reverse Camera In

When they turn off Analog TV, you only loose function 1.

But remember - some local TV stations may continue on analog for a while after TV1 and TV2 turn off

If any one needs or been thinking about a new MK4 DVD Navigation drive or a new BM54 dual tuner radio module.

I can supply these, BRAND NEW

Radio: BM54 part no.65126976963. with MP3 text etc $650 nzd

MK4 DVD Nav. Part no.65909176685. - latest version $900 nzd - includes 2010 nav disc!

check at your local dealer what these cost from BMW NZ!!

prices vary slightly with exchange rate etc

also can do conversions from japan nav ( ibus cars - E39, E46, E53 etc )

please ask any q's

hi i've just bought a e39 2002 japanese and would like to have the nav gear work here can you help me ?

hi i've just bought a e39 2002 japanese and would like to have the nav gear work here can you help me ?

Yes, do you have the jap nav system already? if yes, you will need to spend about $1000 to change to a "Euro type" to work in NZ.

PM me if you need to know anything more..