Sign in to follow this  
dbkiwi

Help: steering wheel recondition

Hi - I have an M325i with the original steering wheel. I'm keen to keep the wheel as I want to keep the car original, but the leather is quite worn. Does anyone know anyone in AKL who reconditions these things? Or am I better to try and find a replacement?

Help!

Hi - I have an M325i with the original steering wheel. I'm keen to keep the wheel as I want to keep the car original, but the leather is quite worn. Does anyone know anyone in AKL who reconditions these things? Or am I better to try and find a replacement?

Help!

I used Trim Fix here in Hawkes Bay on one of my steering wheels, it came up reall well. I think they have guys in Auckland:

http://www.trimfix.co.nz/

Do you have any pics of the refurbed wheel?

I DIY'ed mine. Bit of a time consuming job but not difficult.

post-3850-1299109955.jpg

Looks good and is still going 3 years on... Not bad for the $25 it cost me to do.

swheeloa1_1_.bmp

Edited by MLM

That looks sweet Mat, have never noticed that.

How too please you clever bugger.

I DIY'ed mine. Bit of a time consuming job but not difficult.

post-3850-1299109955.jpg

Looks good and is still going 3 years on... Not bad for the $25 it cost me to do.

That's honestly a pretty darn good job!!

Mind telling me did you use fabric glue on the material and if you did, did you glue first then do the stitching or was it all just stitching?

Have a steering wheel here myself that I've been meaning to attempt to rewrap with Alcantara.

That looks sweet Mat, have never noticed that.

How too please you clever bugger.

It subtle and kinda looks factory which makes it hard to spot. Just the way i like it.

That's honestly a pretty darn good job!!

Mind telling me did you use fabric glue on the material and if you did, did you glue first then do the stitching or was it all just stitching?

Have a steering wheel here myself that I've been meaning to attempt to rewrap with Alcantara.

No glue was used to hold the fabric on to the wheel just to hold the stitches in case of breakage. Its pulls up tight and holds itself well. No slackness three years on (cant twist material on wheel at all) The suede does looks a bit second best for not using gloves though.

The How To

Required items

Super glue

leather or material of choice

Heavy duty thread. Quilting thread i think its called?

Sewing machine

Forgiving girlfriend (step 4)

Scissors

about 4 hours

1) Remove wheel etc and slit all the factory stitching. Do not cut the leather.

2) Use the cut off part to make a patern on whatever your using. I bought a offcut of leather from trade me for $20

3) This is the tricky part. Using your girlfriends sewing machine punch a row of holes along the edges of both sides of the pattern (where the stitching goes). I tried to stitch it using the sewing machine and as it happens this breaks sewing machines...

4) Appologise profusly for sewing machine failure

5) Stitch the punched holes so that you get a continuous row of stitches on the visable side. Ie do one stitch and tie it off then do the next stitch using the same last hole as the previous stitch.

6) Super glue the back side if the stitches. This is so when pulling it up tight the all pull evenly and if you break a stitch the whole lot dosnt unravel

7) Sew the strip of leather into one continuous loop and slip over wheel. Tight is good as this helps form around the wheel.

8)Stitch onto the wheel like this this, I stole this pic from instrucables though i didnt find this until now..

post-3850-1299455611.jpg

Tie it off regularly. If the thread breaks now or in service you will cry.

9) Refit wheel and enjoy

What do I stuff it with or to do if I want to thicken the rim (bigger girth). As my non-M steering is a bit thin for my liking, after driving my friends' M3.

Hmm hows you bandaging skills. The only realistic way i can think of doing this is to wrap the steering wheel with somthing before covering.