Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Government BMWs to cost millions

The Government has splashed out on 34 new top-of-the-line BMWs that sell for more than $200,000 each.

The Green Party has called the ordering of the cars a disgrace.

But the Internal Affairs Department says it has been three years since the Government bought its last fleet, which will be sold when the new cars start to arrive later this year.

The 730Ld BMWs are not yet available in New Zealand, but the 730d models in the current VIP fleet sell for $203,500.

The cars are for transporting ministers, their guests, the leader of the Opposition and occasionally judges.

A spokesman for Prime Minister John Key said this was the same process that had happened for years. "It is standard for a progressive upgrade of the VIP fleet to happen every three years or when the vehicle reaches 90,000 kilometres."

The commercial agreement between BMW New Zealand and Internal Affairs meant he could not reveal the purchase price.

Greens co-leader Metiria Turei said last night that the cost of the cars would be "at least a few million dollars" and came as the Government was sacking public servants and telling people to tighten their belts.

"It's just disgraceful."

She understood the cars were ordered to arrive in time for the Rugby World Cup. "People can't even afford to go to the games."

She said when Labour bought the 730d models in 2008, they were described as gas guzzlers, going through eight litres of petrol per 100km. BMW.com says the new model uses between 6.3 litres and 7.01 litres.

Mrs Turei, who has a five-year-old second-hand Honda Jazz, said she often caught buses.

OPTIONAL EXTRAS:

The Government has not said what optional extras will be supplied with the new fleet. They include:

Four-zone air conditioning so the driver, front and rear passengers can set their own individual temperature, air volume and distribution.

Massage function for front seats: "Twelve massage bubbles and six rotation bubbles help to relax the occupant's thorax, shoulder and lumbar spine". Active seats available, which move intermittently to mobilise occupants' muscles.

Sixteen high-performance speakers.

Monitors and DVD players in rear seats.

Driver-recognition means there is no need for keys.

Automatic door-closing shuts the doors mechanically for the last 6mm.

A built-in internet portal allows access to emails and internet.

If you lock yourself out or are not sure you have locked the car, the BMW call centre can do it for you remotely.

I would say they are locked into a contract for x amount of years.

How about a poll on estimated selling price for the old ones when they go through Turners......

I'll pick $30k

Is that how they would sell them ?? , I have no idea but would have thought they would go for more than 30k

I don't get what the big deal is

I think the Green party is just jealous they don't get to ride in them

Do they really want visiting VIP's to be picked up in a Honda Jazz or told to catch the bus?

I would think they sell more than $30k given how well maintained they are. That said, the current ones have 2 individual back seats with a big armrest in the middle. A bit limited as a family mobile, but certainly luxurious to be chefaured around in them.

Asking price on TM for 2008/2009 7 series is between 80 and 130k.

I am not sure why 34 are required.

Also, I lol at the "gas-guzzling" claims. 8L/100km - that's awesome for a big car!

Also, I lol at the "gas-guzzling" claims. 8L/100km - that's awesome for a big car!

exactly! don't Prius's get 6? 8 is amazing.

certainly better than the Ford / Holden worthless piles they used to use.

This mornings paper claims the price paid for new ones at about 90 to 100 k.

IF thats correct, then selling them will near cover the cost of replacements.

The new ones probably are exempt of import tax, and god knows what other taxes the government can bypass.

I would rather pay for them to use BMW's deisel's than Ford or Holden petrol cars.

The use of 34 of them covers most the country, as they will be stationed at set pionts in the country.

Asking price on TM for 2008/2009 7 series is between 80 and 130k.

I am not sure why 34 are required.

Agree! Wtf? Whats wrong with the huge taxi bills they were running up in the past....

This mornings paper claims the price paid for new ones at about 90 to 100 k.

IF thats correct, then selling them will near cover the cost of replacements.

Correct, the diesel 7 Series are still fetching good money, you can't compare them to a 2002 735i import.

Lets not be mistaken they are 730d's which are incredibly economical to run and very environmentally friendly (for those that care) The Govt. are exempt from any import taxes, GST, and would have scored the new units a hell of alot cheaper than someone off the street like Mr & Mrs Tax Payer. IMO this isn't a big deal, they will receive decent money for the old ones which have aprox 50-70km & the reason they need so many is the fact that they have a limited number at Wellington and have the rest at the main centres of NZ. This is so that when Govt. dignitaries are visiting different centres of NZ they have a vehicle available. Remember the Pike river disaster? Key had his 730d on the tarmac as he landed on the west coast to survey the damage.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

"herpdy f**king derp" is all I hear when the green party speak anyway.

Besides, what happened to the Fairlane LTD's and the Statesmen's you'd see on the news years ago?

Maybe the government might start using 535d's as Police cars?

Maybe the government might start using 535d's as Police cars?

Don't joke too much about it, they are trialing them in the U.S now. Not a 535d but an engine from a 530d

Visit My Website

Edited by The Diesel Guy