Sign in to follow this  
Mador

E34 Horrible Stutter

Help please!

I have a 1990 525i which I have recently converted to manual, besides the noisey gearbox I was sold there

has been a new problem which is a stuttering deceleration at about 1500rpm, and with a car with noisey tappets I dont like to get this thing very high in the revs and like to keep it low till its sorted,

It happens in the same place, every gear, heres a list of what I have already tried to do to fix this in order of 1st to last -

New Bosch Platinums - No change

New OEM Dizzy and leads - No change

New Bosch Coil - No change

New Exedy clutch and pressure plate - Took away the vibrations it had through the clutch

Could it be something to do with the gearbox? Because if you release the clutch in neutral it makes some pretty funky noises from the box kind of like a rattling shaking screeching metal noise, I do have a spare Getrag 260 back home in Gis that I can put it but was saving it for a M30,

Its starting to get a little costly now and I havent been able to find much on the problem just a few posts with no replies on Euro sites,

Thank you very much if you can help and sorry about the ramble,

Ben

PS. its the M20 engine and it has the Getrag 240 from 520i

To save you all this frustration...why not seek the help of a professional to diagnose the fault and give you the right answers and advice ?

Help please!

I have a 1990 525i which I have recently converted to manual, besides the noisey gearbox I was sold there

has been a new problem which is a stuttering deceleration at about 1500rpm, and with a car with noisey tappets I dont like to get this thing very high in the revs and like to keep it low till its sorted,

It happens in the same place, every gear, heres a list of what I have already tried to do to fix this in order of 1st to last -

New Bosch Platinums - No change

New OEM Dizzy and leads - No change

New Bosch Coil - No change

New Exedy clutch and pressure plate - Took away the vibrations it had through the clutch

Could it be something to do with the gearbox? Because if you release the clutch in neutral it makes some pretty funky noises from the box kind of like a rattling shaking screeching metal noise, I do have a spare Getrag 260 back home in Gis that I can put it but was saving it for a M30,

Its starting to get a little costly now and I havent been able to find much on the problem just a few posts with no replies on Euro sites,

Thank you very much if you can help and sorry about the ramble,

Ben

PS. its the M20 engine and it has the Getrag 240 from 520i

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem, i later discovered it was my heat shield around my guibo that was moving freely, your right it does make a horrible noise :o

I rebolted mine and gave it a test run and the problem is gone for good

Hi Ben,

could be a number of things, also very hard to diagnose over the net,

post up your loaction, so that someone local could be recommended

Hey I have just moved to Christchurch from Gisborne,

Sadly havent found employment yet which is steering me away from going to a shop,

And its my only Vehicle aswell, but thumbs up to the public transport here its wicked!

And thanks for that input! Ill have to jack her up sometime and have a look into that, the Haynes manual says its

the Input shaft Bearing though, Ill give the heat shield a look and if its not that then I might aswell give the Getrag 260 a try,

Thanks for the help guys :)

Ben

*Fixed* Thought id post the fix incase someone else finds they have this problem,

Stutter was caused by the idle being set too high -_-, Lowered it to about 650 - 700 and its once again smooth.

*Fixed* Thought id post the fix incase someone else finds they have this problem,

Stutter was caused by the idle being set too high -_-, Lowered it to about 650 - 700 and its once again smooth.

Not following ya on how the idle made it stutter? :huh:

Not following ya on how the idle made it stutter? :huh:

Didnt quite understand it myself,

probably starts the ICV working at lower RPM? So the ICV isnt starting to come on while your coming down through 1500rpm instead it comes into play about 1000rpm?

Did some research last night on the ICV and apparently people who have Deleted the ICV notice they can almost stall the car in 3rd and there is no stuttering - Improved throttle response and improved driveability at lack of Cold start and Cold idle, But fixed that with a manual choke type system to open TB partially when cold to have it idle high till hot