Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

E30 windscreen replacement

Anyone recommend me a windscreen fella to do my p/fl E30 (Auckland)

Rough guide on what you'd expect to pay? Ive never found a glass man Ive actually liked before, either ripped me off for euro glass or theyve done a shoddy job.

Got a nice crack in it last week, PITA as I was going to pull the glass out during the respray, but now am gonna have to do it twice....

do it yourself dude it's a relatively straight forward job. takes all of 2 seconds to remove the old screen but re-installing is like an hour if you don't have the correct tool (and no, a butterknife isn't the correct tool). it's pretty fiddly to get the window strip back in the rubber but its pretty self explainitary. also use plenty of dish-washing liquid. funny enough i just replaced the windscreen in my e30 yesterday

this might/might not help

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=32313&hl=

Edited by flake

Novus... couldn't see them charge that much really. most places like that have a labour charge for that sort of work.

Cheers for the advice, would prefer someone else to do it though. Me and glass dont get on well.

Had a ring around today Price ranging from $460+GST to 330 Incl

Edited by Jacko

Called this guy up, said anytime before 2pm as I have to be go to work in the evening, and I want a screen with the blue sun visor tint like the original.

He said 12-1pm, turns up at 1:30 and rekons he can have it done in 10minutes.

Kicks the old screen out, cracks it in two. Pulls the the new windscreen out the the van and says "Oh this one has no tint..."

Takes 45minutes to change the screen, put a nice big gouge in the A pillar with his metal prodger while putting the retainer back in. Not too fussed as it getting resprayed anyway, but FFS. My dash is also covered in silicon spray...

Gives me a $10 discount for being late for work.... <_<

Windscreen guys suck hard.

If you are fully comp on insurance it's FREE!

If you are fully comp on insurance it's FREE!

I do, but the first chip (had two) happened before I had it, and I felt a bit stink about claiming for it now ;)