Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

E65 - is it really that bad?

Bad in what aspect?

Much of the bad press are usually around the funny look (Bangle flame surfacing) and iDrive, or are you asking about mechanical stuff? Remember they are quarter million dollar cars full of toys, gadgets and electronics, it bound to have a few things going haywire.

I knew a guy that got one to replace his old Lexus LS400, said it was better in someways but in more ways than one he enjoyed the Lexus more.

His biggest issue was with the quality, quite a few interior faults with the E65.

They are great to drive, so nimble compared to the e38, but reliability issues seem to crop up in all respects, electrics, mechanical bla bla bla...

Saw one with an oil leak on the rocker cover and sump as well as the leaks in the transmission. Costs like over $3000 to fix, and workshop says its good for at least 3-4 years..... Umm....not very good reliability there.....besides paying extra for gadgets, should'nt they also have it designed with better quality parts (being BMW and all), surely its not that difficult. Unless, some one upstairs says give it a 10 year life span don't worry about the rest, in which case, I think consumers should stay away from a bmw more than 6-7 years old. Who would want to buy a pre-owned bmw and having to visit the workshop all the time instead of enjoying the "ultimate driving experience" for which it claims.

Perhaps Lexus needs to show BMW how to make more reliable engines, especially in regards to simple things like gaskets and seals.

Unless, some one upstairs says give it a 10 year life span don't worry about the rest, in which case, I think consumers should stay away from a bmw more than 6-7 years old.

NZ's National Car Fleet is Very aged when you compare to some other countrys and as a result we deal with issues that come up after 8+ years , Most people who buy a BMW new (exspecially a 7 serries) will have gotten rid of it by the time its about 5 years old so any issues are generally within warranty for them.

Not really any help to OP, but IMO if you only have enough cash to buy the car and not enough to spend some coin on it later on ... stay away.

To be on the safe side...allow 50% of what you pay for it, for servicng and maintenance over the next 5 years. You'll either spend more, or have a little change left over after 5 years. Especially if its pre 2004

just buy one of the govt's that will be coming up for sale soon. NZ new, low km's, only 3 years old and quite cheap from what I hear :D

Not too sure about the low k, I see them everywhere, back and forth city, airport and hotel all the time.

Purchased as post-2004 facelifted E66, rough transmission shifts going from 1st to 2nd, apparently common issue with the 7 series up to 2006. Cost to fix is over $3000, dealer was kind enough to take care of the issue, other than that it's a really nice car to drive, easily better than my 2004 S class merc.