Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

GPS & Phone wiring E39

Hi Team

Just wondering if anyone has or knows where to find wiring diagrams for the E39 phone Eject Box and the GPS.

Im looking at integrating a Bluetooth unit into the existing car wiring but all I have been able to figure out so far is the Microphone and Power wires coming up to the centre console Eject Box.

I also want to pick off the NMEA data from the GPS unit next to the TV module (behind the rear seats in the Touring)

Any help appreciated

Im looking at putting a reversing camera in as I tested the Reverse Camera logic into the video unit today and it all seems to work but I am dreading putting the wiring from the tailgate to the Video unit.

Cheers Dave

Hi Team

Just wondering if anyone has or knows where to find wiring diagrams for the E39 phone Eject Box and the GPS.

Im looking at integrating a Bluetooth unit into the existing car wiring but all I have been able to figure out so far is the Microphone and Power wires coming up to the centre console Eject Box.

I also want to pick off the NMEA data from the GPS unit next to the TV module (behind the rear seats in the Touring)

Any help appreciated

Im looking at putting a reversing camera in as I tested the Reverse Camera logic into the video unit today and it all seems to work but I am dreading putting the wiring from the tailgate to the Video unit.

Cheers Dave

link below of the bmw wiring diagrams - just take your time and look at the correct model details.. its all there..

I take it you have a jap E39, you will find details of the wiring for the gps unit on that web site... its shows "data Tx, data Rx" etc - but not sure how if it will work in NZ as the system was designed to work only in Japan - ie doesnt like dealing with the "- degrees" here in the southern hemisphere...

let me know if you need any help

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/

Dean

link below of the bmw wiring diagrams - just take your time and look at the correct model details.. its all there..

I take it you have a jap E39, you will find details of the wiring for the gps unit on that web site... its shows "data Tx, data Rx" etc - but not sure how if it will work in NZ as the system was designed to work only in Japan - ie doesnt like dealing with the "- degrees" here in the southern hemisphere...

let me know if you need any help

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/

Dean

Change the Jap nav computer for the Euro nav computer and hey presto - fully functional navigation in NZ. I've done loads, it works.

You can then add the Euro ULF or TCU bluetooh phone interface for fully working handsfree phone and voice control as well

Cheers Dean

At first my browsers (IE and Firefox) could not see the diagrams on that site, however another computer worked OK

Diagrams look good but does not seem to give pin numbers on connectors.

Interesting that BMW would put a GPS in that could not do Southern Hemisphere. I will put a scope on the pins to find the TXD line and then feed it to a serial port to see if the raw NMEA data (which I hope it is) shows -43.XXXXX in the data string.

Cheers Dave

Cheers Dean

At first my browsers (IE and Firefox) could not see the diagrams on that site, however another computer worked OK

Diagrams look good but does not seem to give pin numbers on connectors.

Interesting that BMW would put a GPS in that could not do Southern Hemisphere. I will put a scope on the pins to find the TXD line and then feed it to a serial port to see if the raw NMEA data (which I hope it is) shows -43.XXXXX in the data string.

Cheers Dave

if you need too, google "bmw wds" there are about 3 sites that have this and all seem to work differently with different browsers and Java versions etc.. some browsers wont show the "links to pin out" pages.

the info is there for pin numbers. Look under "component and signal information/components/N_amplifiers, controllers, control units/N28 GPS reciever

as Jochen says, easiest to replace with "normal" Euro units. slight wiring mod, easy to do.. just a bit of money for new parts!

Dean

Change the Jap nav computer for the Euro nav computer and hey presto - fully functional navigation in NZ. I've done loads, it works.

You can then add the Euro ULF or TCU bluetooh phone interface for fully working handsfree phone and voice control as well

I know your the guru on this stuff Jochen, but I was going to see how much I could figure out before bugging you with questions.

The dealer I brought the car has agreed to change out the Jap Nav unit as part of the deal. I think he gets them from Grant (Hotwire) but I believe there is someone in Christchurch now doing it as well (maybe not after last Tuesdays events)

So whats the go on Bluetooth? I am still searching the net for the differences between ULF and TCU but TCU seems to be the best bet for a 01 E39 Touring. However all advice will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers Dave

From a US forum :

My Dad has a 3G iPhone with the latest OS, and the TCU works perfectly with the iPhone, so this appears to be an optimum Bluetooth solution for a much lower cost. Another advantage, both cost and cosmetic, is that the TCU does not require an eject box. The TCU goes into pairing mode for a couple minutes when you first start the car, so it does not need a pairing button. The only real downside to the TCU is that its voice recognition instructions only control the phone. There are no navigation control instructions like in the ULF

So, if you are updating the Nav, I would say go for ULF to get Nav voice control.

I have just done the Nav in my 2002 530i touring, with help from Hotwire, and are planning on doing the ULF next, when I have spare funds :)

You do not have your location listed, I am in Timaru, so if I can help you at all with the install, I am happy to do that.

I would also be interested if you get the ULF installed, would be keen to see it running.

Edited by camera doctor

Im in Christchurch (or whats left of it :D )

Would be interested in either TCU or ULF but not in a hurry until the dealer I brought the car off fits the Nav equipment. (part of the sales agreement)

Who has these units and what are they charging for them (I travel internationally a lot so are they better value from overseas somewhere)

Also ordered the Reversing Camera from Hotwire tonight so I have that wee project to do.

We should catch up if your ever up this way - Will let you know if I head south at all.

Cheers Dave

From a US forum :

My Dad has a 3G iPhone with the latest OS, and the TCU works perfectly with the iPhone, so this appears to be an optimum Bluetooth solution for a much lower cost. Another advantage, both ...................................

Just sent you an email Dave, another happy camper you will be I think:)

The only one I have done a couple of years back was a ULF unit to a Jap car I had already converted nav & radio in.

Got the unit from Bimmernav in the States - cost about NZ$1250 at the time - then nearly a day to do the conversion from Jap system. Again - Hindsight is wonderful :)

As Greg says - once you have nav running - ULF will give voice control nav too, so probably worth the extra expense for that. I will dig out the conversion procedure when needed.

You can get S/H units of Ebay but from my understanding - the earlier units had some problems.

The latest was (I think still is) version 13

Grant