Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Vibration through steering wheel

Vehicle: 1985 BMW 320i (E30)

Wheels: TSW Stealth 15x7 front, 16x7.5 rear

Problem:

Ever since having the new wheels fitted I have had issues with a vibration through the steering wheel between 65kph and 85kph. It's just been rather annoying so far, not causing any other issues but I want to get on top of it before it does. The wheels were balanced before fitting, however car has not had a wheel alignment since being fitted. I removed one wheel just before, and it's quite obvious that they have a hub size larger than that of my car, so perhaps requires hubcentric rims?

Does this sound like a probable cause for my problems? And also, who would carry hubcentric rings for my car? Perhaps Johnno? I am off to buy a Caliper soon so I can measure the wheel's hub dimensions.

Also, the wheel is stepped on the inside. A large diameter hole, rather shallow, and then smaller diameter right through... I assume I'm measuring the smaller diameter? As the larger one is probably in excess of 100mm. Smaller seems somewhere around 60mm...

Cheers for any help provided :D.

Any decent wheel store would carry the hub rings, has any of the balancing weight fall off?

I doubt it, since theyve been vibrating ever since I drove out the store. Unfortunately i dont think we havve any wheel shops in porirua, might have to go into town or over the hutt to get them. When I can get a caliper to find out what I need haha.

Unfortunately i dont think we havve any wheel shops in porirua, might have to go into town or over the hutt to get them. When I can get a caliper to find out what I need haha.

Check your phone book. There are a few shops in Porirua'

Been a while since I have been up there but I remember a few by the river north of the rail station

Vehicle: 1985 BMW 320i (E30)

Wheels: TSW Stealth 15x7 front, 16x7.5 rear

Problem:

Ever since having the new wheels fitted I have had issues with a vibration through the steering wheel between 65kph and 85kph. It's just been rather annoying so far, not causing any other issues but I want to get on top of it before it does. The wheels were balanced before fitting, however car has not had a wheel alignment since being fitted. I removed one wheel just before, and it's quite obvious that they have a hub size larger than that of my car, so perhaps requires hubcentric rims?

Does this sound like a probable cause for my problems? And also, who would carry hubcentric rings for my car? Perhaps Johnno? I am off to buy a Caliper soon so I can measure the wheel's hub dimensions.

Also, the wheel is stepped on the inside. A large diameter hole, rather shallow, and then smaller diameter right through... I assume I'm measuring the smaller diameter? As the larger one is probably in excess of 100mm. Smaller seems somewhere around 60mm...

Cheers for any help provided :D .

You definitley need hubcentric rings. Your hub on the E30 should be 57mm. If you can measure the wheel bore diameter i will see if I have any rings here :)

Check your phone book. There are a few shops in Porirua'

Been a while since I have been up there but I remember a few by the river north of the rail station

Tyre shops, yes. Only one sells wheels, and I doubt they'd be able to help. (Seeing as it was a beaurepaires that fitted them in the first place!)

You definitley need hubcentric rings. Your hub on the E30 should be 57mm. If you can measure the wheel bore diameter i will see if I have any rings here :)

Cheers, I'll see If i can grab a caliper today and PM you the results. :D

Hub size appears to be 60mm. Not much different, but its certainly enough to make lining the studs up very difficult!

Make that 72 lol. Measured wrong bit

Done. 4 hubcentric rings or "cbl"s on their way to me now. Had to get the pros to measure them up for me, since I fail at life haha. Now i just need to scrape some cash together for springs so the wheels actually look good on the car too :P

Edit: Fixed terrible spelling.

Edited by huff3r