Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Weird Handling at speed - Tyres?

Found something weird my E30 does in fast corners, (motorway at 2am in the long sweeping banked corner out towards the airport) im not 100% on whats causing it.

The best way to describe it is a "waddle", feels like the front is trying to tuck in, but then sorts it sh*t out and levels, and then starts it all over again.

All the bushes are 95ksi polyurethane jobbies, all new ballinks rack ends etc etc etc. BC racing coilovers, Whiteline swaybars (adj rear in the centre hole). 3.64LSD. New Toyo T1R 215/17/40's

I dont recall it doing it with my old tyres, which were 45 profile (but in reality were a lower profile than the toyo 40's) But I also dont recall pushing it through this corner before either.

Ive adjusted up the front shocks a few clicks, thinking maybe the combined spring rates of the coilover and sway bar were too much for the lower setting to control. But the rain has stopped me from testing out my theory :D

Also wondering if this is the T1R's, much talked about, soft sidewall showing up? Or do I have some funky dynamic alignment change going on....

Edited by Jacko

How much stretch are you running? 215 on what width rim?

7 or 7.5" cant remember. No stretch ;)

^ Yeah, but in saying that I cant be 100% without throwing the old tyres back on and trying it :wacko:

Anyone else experienced this "waddling" with T1R's?

was just thinking about this last night, and without seeing it its hard to say but if its not the tyres it MAY be possible that the spring rates and shock rates just dont match and the spring is oscillating and causing a wallow or the its too hard and causing a bounce.... food for thought...

Wheels are 17x7.5 ET20 (Alpina reps)

Old tyres were 215/45/17 Milanza HZ1's, New tyres are 215/40/17 Toyo T1R's.

I used to scrape my exhaust going over the speed bumps in the work car park with the old 45 series tyres. With the new 40 series tyres I dont :huh: Which makes me think the profiles sizes are a bit wack.

I do have some funky camber going on, 3 degrees rear, 2 degrees front. But all the other alignment specs were in the green on the techs computer. Planning on raising the car a touch to sort my rear camber out, and installing M3 offset CAB's, in the near future, but dont know how this will effect "the waddle"

Edited by Jacko

The Whiteline suspension tech dude rekons it likely a bad tyre/s. Aparently its not uncommon to get one that has manufacturing errors...

Has anyone got a set of 17's for an E30 with good tyres on them (preferably of the same width and offset), and want to try on my alpinas for a week/day/hour, so I can confirm that I have a dud tyre/s

Ill pay beers :D

Edited by Jacko

Cranked up the tyres too 40psi, and added a couple of clicks to the front shocks - Problem gone ;)

^ That was my theory. Ill see how it handles once the offset cabs are in, and the camber is sorted out a bit better.

The tyres did only have 34psi in them to start, I hadnt checked them in the week they were installed, which is probably on the low side Id guess.

Whats the "normal" pressure range for an E30 on 17's?

Edited by Jacko