Sign in to follow this  
j.ingledew

Jake

Hey everyone

I am a new BMW owner, I just got myself a 99 Hartge E39, this is my first BMW, I am fresh out of the world of Subarus and Mitsubishis and haven't had a euro since my first car. I know a whole lot of nothing about BMWs so I will probably be looking for a lot of advice. The car is entirely standard aside from some aftermarket tail lights, which I really don't like so if anyone is looking for a swap haha hit me up.

I have just got the car home so it is sitting in the garage desperately awaiting a good clean and polish and I have no photos of it yet but as soon as I clean it all up I will be uploading pictures

Ah it is a Hartge 525i

And I have no idea of the difference between it and a normal 525i, help is needed

Welcome Jake... Post some pics... make sure they're 800x600 or they won't upload.

As soon as I get an opportunity it to post some I will, just need a chance to get outside

Unfortunately I am unable to put photos up today because I when I got home from work (left the car in the driveway I discovered that it had been leaking water all day from just behind the front passenger wheel. So I did a bit of detective work and eventually found when I removed the passenger side aircon or heater filter thing that underneath, around the small box with a bunch of important looking wires in it, there was a puddle and I have no idea where it came from, I can't find any links between it and the car's cooling system and I can sort of tell that someone has been in around there before because there was a $2 coin nearby (good score!!). So what I think has happened is in the heavy rain yesterday, water has run down the windshield and gotten into here some how and puddled and throughout today it has slowly drained out because when I started to mess around in there the water leaking out of the bottom of the car (didn't manage to get all of the skidplates and pans off) massively increased and then ran out. This was also the first time I checked the water level in the car as I just got it last night, which was pretty low :/. So the plan for tomorrow is to top up the water with some coolant and if water leaks out of the same place again is green and happens in again, I know I have a problem with the radiator, if it continues to be completely clean as it was today (another reason I think it may have been rain water) then I must be sweet :).

If anyone knows anything about what is going on here please help as I do really know nothing about BMWs and am just kinda taking a stab in the dark here, I have mainly worked on imports and old V8s, cheers :)

Photos are here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Oh Jake Yeah