Sign in to follow this  
Surge

E30 325i engine problems

Hi all,

Car is a 1986 325i (m20b25)

I was accelerating on to the motorway when the car made some serious ticking noises from the engine bay. This was accompanied by a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust I then pulled over and it died.

The cambelt appears fine (was replaced 2000-3000km ago by a workshop - tensioners, waterpump were also done)

The valves were adjusted during the last service too. Managed to re-start it for a few seconds which was accompanied by another clunking sound, so prompty turned it off.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Fuct. B)

time for new engine/rebuild.

Sounds like something big let go.

sounds like maybe it dropped a valve into the cylinders??

did the engine have a bit of a tick to it previously , could have a had a worn camshaft lobe which will cause the vlave to shut very fast and then the head of the valve will snap off eventually

ive got a E34 m50b25(125kms) with loom and ecu sitting here..I plan on turboing later this year, but if it sold it would help at the moment haha..just another option for you..would do a lay by deal..only looking for what I paid for it so if your keen PM me

If you take the rocker cover off you will be able to tell pretty easily if you've dropped a valve.