Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 no ac power

Hey Guys,

Looks as though i wired my starter motor wrong, when i put the battery back on smoke and sparks from the terminal leads went everywhere (it usually has a tiny spark and a little puff of smoke) however it was heaps this time. My negative post was in the wrong place and now when i go to turn the key to AC it does nothing, no stereo, no lights, no dash board lights no nothing lol. If i re wire starter correctly would it fix all my issues or have i damaged someting much more serious?

Battery is reading 12.66v and is only a month old

All fuses are ok, and relays look in tact, but not sure on how to test if they are ok

Any suggestions on what to do now?

Cheers

Mitchell

Edited by Mitch Wakefield

how did you wire the starter?

Positive on the normal terminal, negative to the mounting bracket on the starter motor and ignition on one of the two points it has

So it sounds like you wired your starter correctly. But put the battery in incorrectly. Is that what you have done?

If that is the case, alot of cars have a fuse link near the battery, it is usually under some heatshrink, so have a poke around and see if you can find anything like that.

So it sounds like you wired your starter correctly. But put the battery in incorrectly. Is that what you have done?

If that is the case, alot of cars have a fuse link near the battery, it is usually under some heatshrink, so have a poke around and see if you can find anything like that.

What i might be thinking is starter is in incorrectly as im sure the negative goes on the second post on the starter. The Battery itself has not been modified and is fairly new, and no changes to wiring at all have been made. Had a look for this fuse and cant seem to find much? How far away from the battery within the wires do you reckon it'l be?

Do not connect any earths to the starter (unless it is to the body of the starter).

The second post becomes live when you try and start it. You would of created a dead short.

Edit: Do you have a picture of you how you wired it? In one post you say you earthed it to the mounting bracket, and the other you say to the second terminal / post.

Edited by polley

Do not connect any earths to the starter (unless it is to the body of the starter).

The second post becomes live when you try and start it. You would of created a dead short.

Edit: Do you have a picture of you how you wired it? In one post you say you earthed it to the mounting bracket, and the other you say to the second terminal / post.

I tried a few things lol. Yeap will get a photo up here asap

Cheers for your help polley!!!

Mitchell

Posted Image

You did not connect the earth to the left post did you?

Posted Image

You did not connect the earth to the left post did you?

Earth is connected to mounting bracket, think i have got an understanding of where sh*t goes now. Here is how it is setup.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks fine. I would disconnect the battery and make sure you dont continuity between positive and negative.

Looks fine. I would disconnect the battery and make sure you dont continuity between positive and negative.

As per your photo you had, i saw you had the black and red wire on the same post, mine are on different posts. Is this a problem?

Where does that black wire come from on yours? If it goes to the body, that is fine and is a earth. If it goes to the alternator, it is the wire that charges the battery and it needs to be moved to the same one the battery feed / positive goes to.

Just because it is black / red does not always indicate positive / negative.

Where does that black wire come from on yours? If it goes to the body, that is fine and is a earth. If it goes to the alternator, it is the wire that charges the battery and it needs to be moved to the same one the battery feed / positive goes to.

Just because it is black / red does not always indicate positive / negative.

Thanks for the insight onto this one polley, i will have a look at the wiring and see where it goes and get back to you.

Cheers

Mitchell

Actually, that black wire could be your battery positive feed, and the red one is for your alternator. It would explain the dead short at your battery.

Confirm those two wires (black and red) are for your alternator and battery positive first, if they are, connect them to the same post. (same post the red one is already connected to)

Edit: I havent seen an E30 before that has an earth going to the starter. They just earth thru the block / gearbox.

Edited by polley

Actually, that black wire could be your battery positive feed, and the red one is for your alternator. It would explain the dead short at your battery.

Confirm those two wires (black and red) are for your alternator and battery positive first, if they are, connect them to the same post. (same post the red one is already connected to)

Edit: I havent seen an E30 before that has an earth going to the starter. They just earth thru the block / gearbox.

Yeah that would explain my problems!! Have had a look now, red wire is coming from alternator, and black wire is leading to battery. so they need to be on the same post on the solenoid ay? reckon i would have damages anything the way i had it? i didnt try cranking engine only put terminal on and realised i had no ac.

Yes they both need to be on the same terminal as the red one.

I doubt you damaged any electronics as it is just a dead short to the battery. How long did you leave it connected for? Your battery could be in a pretty bad state depending on how long you left it like that for.

I couldnt imagine it was left for too long tho.

Yeah that would explain my problems!! Have had a look now, red wire is coming from alternator, and black wire is leading to battery. so they need to be on the same post on the solenoid ay? reckon i would have damages anything the way i had it? i didnt try cranking engine only put terminal on and realised i had no ac.

WIN! Just wired it up correctly now, battery is to dead to start it however is engaged the flywheel and spun at about 1rpm lol. Cheers for your help Polley!!!!

Crash start the bitch

Crash start the bitch

Need the driveshaft for that haha. Otherwise would have been the prefered option :P