Sign in to follow this  
j.ingledew

E39 Brakes

Can someone help me do the brakes on my E39? My little dash screen says 'Check Brake (something I can't read because my screen is had it)'

I don't know how to do brakes on a BMW, I assume it is like a normal car though, I have a suspicion that it may be the brake rotors because I think that was mentioned in the AA report I got when I purchased the vehical. Any help to do them will be greeted with a free dozen beers :) Of your choice

I would suggest you check the condition of things like pads, rotors, lines, etc. but I'm fairly sure the computer doesn't monitor the rotors. It's better to find the problem before you fix things that might be causing it, you might find it's a blown brake light...

check the brake lights work , bulb or faulty brake switch are comon .

also check the pads and disc thickness , also the brake pad wear sensor fitted to the front left and right rear brake pads , they wear out and then trigger the light . some people replace the brake pads but dont replce the worn out brake pad wear sensor(s)

I can see enough of the screen to read Brake Li but not the rest, it isn't the lights, I think it says brake liners, brake lines or brake lining