Sign in to follow this  
alanmacc

745i or 545i

Hi guys

looking for some honest feedback on the 745i 2004 model, considering upgrading to this but have heard of some horror reviews on them.

I liked the 545i too but these are a little harder to come by, dont think id drop below a 3l engine now after having the 330ci for a few years and liking the power of it

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

Alan

I would be inclined to say go for a 545i.

It really depends on what you want, a luxo barge, which is the 745i. Or the 545i, which is comfortable as well as being somewhat sporty at the same time, you get the best of both worlds with an E60.

The 745i would probably perform the same in a straight line as your 330i, so the 545i would at least be the most obvious step up in performance.

The styling also comes into it, I think your getting a much more attractive car with an E60 over an E65, although the last face-lift version of the 7 looks reasonable.

+1 with the 545.

Better and more agile car, you'd get the same amount of toys, and you could possibly get HUD in the 545 (or did it come with the 550?).

I was once in the same position, 735 or 530. I bought the 530 and never once disappointed with my decision.

Depreciation wise, I think E60 has better (lower) depreciation rate than E65.

We drove a few of each and settled on the 545i, they are a good $10,000 more expensive on average though so im not sure it’s a fair comparison. If it were a non M kitted E60 it would be a hard decision for me if there was 10k in it.

The SWB 745i with the active sway bars is not so far off the 545i dynamically and is a much better cruiser, better if you like SH1. The E60 is not as a dynamic car as you would believe though, especially on kiwi roads, our M was a willowy mess as soon at the pace was turned up and could not out run a hatch back on a typical Kiwi back road or anything twisty.

I think the extra money for a good 545i will pay back in the long run, the E65 will be worth a bag of apples in three weeks (like the old seven) where the E60 will be a bit more desirable, the E60 is a newer generation car also and has fewer components so will be cheaper to service.. but still no bargain and if its near 100,000km it will soon start falling apart like most modern BMW's do.

The 545i is a fantastic all rounder, its every car to every man and does everything well, buy a NZ new car with a FSH and look after if properly and it will serve you well for years.

2c.

Go for the 545i.

The E65's give ALOT of problems eg. active sway bars....good in theory expensive when they stop working.

Thats why you've read horror reviews of them because they are a horror of a car. Lots of fancy technology to break. The repiar bill when the airbag light comes on will scare you....they are chronic for SRS controllers failing and yes when you put the new unit in sometimes some of the older ecu's in the car wont talk to the new one so out they go too. Heard an awful story about a guy with an E65 cost him almost $12,000 to turn the airbag light off (this is in NZ) and replace the (in)active sway bars.

I think the 545i will give ya less trouble.

Thanks for that everybody, I was sort of swaying on it and leaning towards the 5 series, Ideally a 545 but these are a little harder to come by and more likely I will end up woth a 530, plenty of 525 around but given im driving an e46 330ci id rather not drop below a 3L engine.

Ok so widen my net now and discount the luxo barge ....... thanks heaps :)

There are a sh*t load of 545i for sale, where are you looking?? TM has 50 odd.

The 530i is still a good car, but for the similar money I would defiantly go the V8, the engine in the 545i is wicked, so flexible and smooth and when the taps were open boy did it sound good, I still dream about owning another, it did not drink a heck of a lot more than the 530i, we averaged 11.5 in ours.

Thanks for that everybody, I was sort of swaying on it and leaning towards the 5 series, Ideally a 545 but these are a little harder to come by and more likely I will end up woth a 530, plenty of 525 around but given im driving an e46 330ci id rather not drop below a 3L engine.

Ok so widen my net now and discount the luxo barge ....... thanks heaps :)

try a 530 d.......not as much top end as a petrol and limp just off idle,but awesome above 1500 rpm.As long as you keep the windows closed you will be hard pressed to know you in a diesel.unlikely to find a manual tho

There are a sh*t load of 545i for sale, where are you looking?? TM has 50 odd.

The 530i is still a good car, but for the similar money I would defiantly go the V8, the engine in the 545i is wicked, so flexible and smooth and when the taps were open boy did it sound good, I still dream about owning another, it did not drink a heck of a lot more than the 530i, we averaged 11.5 in ours.

I have been keeping an eye on TM but most are sitting at over 100,000km, ok call me fussy but i managed to get my coup with only 57k on the clock and have now done 127k so looking for something under 100k.

But glad i found this place, rather than random checking for user reviews actually ask the people who drive them.

There are a few at circa 50,000km but they will obviously be a bit more pricy, you will get a Jap import with lower KMs for lower money but it won’t necessarily be a better car, the Japanese seem to be very relaxed on preventative maintenance and they do spend a lot of time sitting in traffic, it won’t come with a service history and on top of this elements of the entertainment system will not work in NZ.

I would still buy a Jap E60 for the right price though, they are just things to keep in mind and maybe use to bargain a price, you can convert the NAV easy ($$$) enough.

At 80,000km ours needed control arms , pads and disks and the sunroof had an issue, there was also an un diagnosed knock/click in the steering system BMW could not fix, I suspected it had something to do with the brilliant active steering system.

Try and get an 05 if you can, it has a few subtle differences biggest being the much better IMHO i-drive version two with a wider screen and more intuitive controls, don’t be intimidated but the I-Drive, it will be a piece of piss to operate after a week or so and provides ours of entertainment while you wait in the car when the missus “pops into the mall to get somethingâ€.

don’t be intimidated but the I-Drive, it will be a piece of piss to operate after a week or so and provides ours of entertainment while you wait in the car when the missus “pops into the mall to get somethingâ€.

Classic .... cheers :)