Sign in to follow this  
OP6

WTB M20B25

Title says it all, need a replacement engine for a facelift E30 325. Old one sounds as though the big end bearing has gone.

Cheers

are you sure its not just worn camshaft lob on number 1 cylinder etc ??

worth checking just pull the rocker cover off

Had not thought of that, is it a common problem? Had a quick look under the rocker cover a few weeks ago but i didn't really know what i was looking for other than to check the rockers were present and correct etc.

There is a vibration accompanied by noticable rrrrrrrrr noise which comes very evident at anything over 3500 rpm within the drive train. My thoughts were that this was the big end bearing or as a friend has suggested, a loosening flywheel. Will be dropping the gearbox to have a look in a couple of weeks. Really at a bit of a loss at this stage!

Had not thought of that, is it a common problem? Had a quick look under the rocker cover a few weeks ago but i didn't really know what i was looking for other than to check the rockers were present and correct etc.

There is a vibration accompanied by noticable rrrrrrrrr noise which comes very evident at anything over 3500 rpm within the drive train. My thoughts were that this was the big end bearing or as a friend has suggested, a loosening flywheel. Will be dropping the gearbox to have a look in a couple of weeks. Really at a bit of a loss at this stage!

check the cam lobes are not flatened out or big grooves in them.

like this

post-279-1301477655.jpg