Sign in to follow this  
mossline

E39 LED replacements

Hello everyone,

Im looking to replace what bulbs I can (interior and exterior) with LEDs. Could anyone point me in the direction of a place to get them from here in NZ or abroad? Obviously the main problem would be the OBC spitting out error codes left, right and centre so would need to find a a place that that sells the right LEDs.

Ideally, some form of replacement "kit" would be the best....

Any advice would be great!

Cheers all

Hello everyone,

Im looking to replace what bulbs I can (interior and exterior) with LEDs. Could anyone point me in the direction of a place to get them from here in NZ or abroad? Obviously the main problem would be the OBC spitting out error codes left, right and centre so would need to find a a place that that sells the right LEDs.

Cheers all

BUMP

Hello everyone,

Cheers all

Im looking to do the same thing to my E39. Have a look at jlevistreetwerks.com but theres heaps of other places. Im trying to do it without resistors by recoding the LCM with the help of another member. I know you can stop the error codes this way but not sure yet if you can stop the indicators hyper flashing. Ill keep you posted

Im looking to do the same thing to my E39. Have a look at jlevistreetwerks.com but theres heaps of other places. Im trying to do it without resistors by recoding the LCM with the help of another member. I know you can stop the error codes this way but not sure yet if you can stop the indicators hyper flashing. Ill keep you posted

Yeah keep me posted, would be good to know how to do it. Where abouts are you?

Ive found a place that sells you a replacement kit for all interior lights. http://www.bimmian.com/IXB/

Need to figure out the exterior lights which I guess is going to be the difficult part...

Yeah keep me posted, would be good to know how to do it. Where abouts are you?

Ive found a place that sells you a replacement kit for all interior lights. http://www.bimmian.com/IXB/

Need to figure out the exterior lights which I guess is going to be the difficult part...

Im only doing the indicators front and back and the brake lights. By the sounds of things its going to be too hard to stop the hyper flashing without resistors so Im just going to use them on the indicators and then get hybrid to recode the lcm to stop the check brake lights warning. I just need to figure out a good place to mount the resistors for the rear indicators thats not going to burn or melt anything haha.

Im in auckland.

Im only doing the indicators front and back and the brake lights. By the sounds of things its going to be too hard to stop the hyper flashing without resistors so Im just going to use them on the indicators and then get hybrid to recode the lcm to stop the check brake lights warning. I just need to figure out a good place to mount the resistors for the rear indicators thats not going to burn or melt anything haha.

Im in auckland.

You would think that there would just be a plug and play option for all the lights without having to faff around so much....

You would think that there would just be a plug and play option for all the lights without having to faff around so much....

Car manufacturers don't want you "faffing" with their vehicles hence why it's such a pain in the bootay.

Do you really "need" LED lights? should be the first question you ask yourself.

I have done the interior bulbs in my E39, just take the old ones out, measure the length and buy them ex Trademe or Ebay ( much cheaper ) The SMD types are brighter, and don't go too cheap or they will be blueish, rather than clean white.

Interior bulbs can be changed without coding.

I much prefer the clean white look, rather than factory yellow incandescents.

post-2173-1302032194.jpg

My number plate light was changed to LED when I fitted reverse camera, so I coded the error out with Navcoder.

And I changed the Halos to LED, again no coding, as they are made for this car, and I guess have resistors in them already?

Edited by camera doctor

Excellent, keep us in the loop! Im thinking im just going to buy a replacement kit form bimmian for the interiors. The exteriors is something i'll have to look into more...

Are you swapping the interior bulbs or exterior?

I'll probably do both.. Interior and as for the exterior I'll probably just go with doing the numberplate lights, not so keen of my indicators going mental each time I use them...

I'll probably do both.. Interior and as for the exterior I'll probably just go with doing the numberplate lights, not so keen of my indicators going mental each time I use them...

What about brake, rear and reverse lights? are they easy enough or do you need to mess around with them too>?

What about brake, rear and reverse lights? are they easy enough or do you need to mess around with them too>?

Everywhere you mount a bulb you need a resistor otherwise you will get bulb out warnings unless you recode the lcm. And from what I understand from reading on another forum, bmws put out a small amount of power intermitently to monitor whether the bulbs are blown. But because leds take so little power to go, they flicker when this happens. So im guessing this would need to be disabled also. (someone with more knowledge than me would need to confirm this though).

Im starting to think its not worth the effort haha.

Yes you can stop the flashing

You need to turn of cold monitoring, warm monitoring and check control messages

Hello everyone,

Im looking to replace what bulbs I can (interior and exterior) with led strip 12v . Could anyone point me in the direction of a place to get them from here in NZ or abroad? Obviously the main waterproof led strip light problem would be the OBC spitting out error codes left, right and centre so would need to find a a place that that sells the right blue led strip .

Cheers all

How do I plug a led neon light stick into a cigarette lighter?

My neon led light for inside of a car came with just a black and white striped wire coming out of it. How can i plug this into my car outlet?

How do I plug a led neon light stick into a cigarette lighter?

My neon led light for inside of a car came with just a black and white striped wire coming out of it. How can i plug this into my car outlet?

Put a cig lighter plug on the end of the lead...

Yes you can stop the flashing

You need to turn of cold monitoring, warm monitoring and check control messages

Hey Jochen

I've just bought some new tail lights from o/seas and they've sent LED ones instead of standard that I ordered. Took about 3 weeks to get here so I can't be bothered trying to return them for a replacement and figure the LED ones will probably look better.

Saw an old post where you said you can add a parallel resistor to each tail light bulb to trick the LKM into thinking the bulbs are standard. Would prefer to avoid paying an auto electrician an arm and a leg to install so wondered if you had any pics or know any online guides of how to do this?

you just need to have it programmed.

Can do it if your auckland for box of beers if you like. PM me