Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

coolant temp gauge

Hey Guys,

Coolant temp gauge has gone back down to cold again, i have cleaned the terminals, cleaned the sensor (also checked the resistance of it and check out good). Tried grounding the wire and doesnt go to hot. I examined wiring from it as it goes into the heat shrink and noticed its pretty much f**ked. I will be looking at re wiring this weekend but need to know where it goes to? Does it go Via the battery? or just straight to the cluster etc?? Dont really wanna cut up my wiring heat shrinks if i can help it but if i have to it shouldnt be to hard to do.

Cheers

Mitch

Try a new cluster. You can borrow my one for a week or so and see if the temp gauge acts normal. My SI batteries could do with the recharge anyway. It's probably the gauge itself in your cluster that's dodgy, they are quite easy to change if you get the same cluster as the one you have ie motometer-motometer or vdo-vdo

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

My temp guage sometimes needs a gentle knock to work.

A slap on the dash usually does the trick.

Loose wire to the cluster maybe?

Try a new cluster. You can borrow my one for a week or so and see if the temp gauge acts normal. My SI batteries could do with the recharge anyway. It's probably the gauge itself in your cluster that's dodgy, they are quite easy to change if you get the same cluster as the one you have ie motometer-motometer or vdo-vdo

That would be great thanks! Turning the car off today i noticed the gauge came to life as the car was turning off. The Gauge moves from complete nothing into the cold position when you turn the key so the needle may still be ok.

My temp guage sometimes needs a gentle knock to work.

A slap on the dash usually does the trick.

Loose wire to the cluster maybe?

Wire and grounding nut are in firmly. I have gave it more than a slap and it still doesnt want to move, will rule out the cluster by testing it on Andys one :P