Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

I want to keep my parcel tray 6 1/2 Inch

No problem. Pioneer covering their ass. Headroom (ie amp more powerful than speaker) is pretty widely regarded as being a good thing.

oh ok, I always thought under powering a sub could damage either the sub or the amp. Thats why I wondered why it was a caution lol.

oh ok, I always thought under powering a sub could damage either the sub or the amp. Thats why I wondered why it was a caution lol.

Yeah its the other way round, if the Amp is underpowerd it will simply cut-out, no damage, but if its overpowered then it is possible to "blow" the sub. Possible, but not that easy i'd imagine.

Correct, most damage to subs comes from underpowering, that's when the user doesn't know how to set gains and ends up cranking the amp too much. Signal to sub is 'clipped' which causes sub to overheat. Having excess power means you won't tend to get into clipping unless you simply decide to thrash the living bejesus out of the sub.

Also remember that music is dynamic so your sub is only seeing max power for a fraction of the time. Quite common for subs to be able to handle excessive power when playing music. It's only when you start doing things like playing test tones that you have to be careful with the limits.

I reckon the power you have is a good amount for the sub you've got.