Sign in to follow this  
gouba

E36 seats in an e30

Has anyone else done it? What did they think?

I've tried for ages to find a replacement for my shot e30 sports seat with no luck and it drives me insane (the recliner is broken, it doesnt slide properly, it's buckled slightly and the leather is ripped up on the bolster).

The e36 comfort seats look like an easy replacement with a little work and trying to find a complete set of e30 sets in good condition is basically impossible.

I've seen it done on a few different sites using a set of plate brackets.

Yeah I've seen a few guys on the internet do it, seems easy enough if you are able to make up new brackets.

If you end up doing it, make extra brackets, I could be interested in buying some brackets off you :)

Metal work is not my strong point so it may be safer if i take lots of measurements/photos instead.

Yeah I've seen a few guys on the internet do it, seems easy enough if you are able to make up new brackets.

If you end up doing it, make extra brackets, I could be interested in buying some brackets off you :)

+1 on extra brackets:)

Has anyone else done it? What did they think?

I've tried for ages to find a replacement for my shot e30 sports seat with no luck and it drives me insane (the recliner is broken, it doesnt slide properly, it's buckled slightly and the leather is ripped up on the bolster).

The e36 comfort seats look like an easy replacement with a little work and trying to find a complete set of e30 sets in good condition is basically impossible.

I've seen it done on a few different sites using a set of plate brackets.

I have a set of NZ new 1999 E36 Seats. F & R, and full side trim and door panels from a Compact, with facility for airbags, non smoker, almost mint.

They are available now, I probably can deliver by arrangement, 021 295 2814

Paul - E36

+1 on extra brackets:)

Also +1

Been thinking about new seats, but want ones that look factory not some real out of place buckets...

E36 seats would be perfect :D.

Here's a link that might be usefull if you go ahead with this Visit My Website

I would personally prefer them to be connected like This to prevent the potential of them swivelling..

Just looks sturdier. The problem is that the ones made my "UberE30" don't have measurements posted up as he is making money off them, but wouldnt be too hard to work out.

I have read that Vaders are crap compared with e30 recaros on a few sites now, could some of the e36 m3 boys chip in with opinions?

So i got the seats today and had a bit of a play around. The brackets that Uber 30 had made dont allow for enough space against the centre console. I've come up with a something of similar measurements as in the firs post but made attached in a fashion like Uber-30s to remove the chance of swivelling.

The first set will be a mock up to get things right (and because the widest metal i could get was 50mm over the weekend) then ill try and find someone to properly cut out some brackets.

I also spent some time working on the rear and figuring out how to do that. The e30 seat is in 2 pieces and the e36 comes in 4. The base section physically fits in fine but it's too much work to get the e36 to fit in properly. Im going to try and pull all the fabric off the e36 sections, sew it together and fit it over a standard e30 coupe rear seat top section, it will need some padding to be cut and added in places to get it to look consistent but i dont see this being an issue.

Will post photos soon

Edited by gouba

Sweet, interested to see how you get on.

Interesting idea with the frankestein rear seat, do you think you can get it looking tidy enough though?

Personally I'd try install them as they are, I just think it would be very hard to make cutting and pasting look good outside of the computer world!

But good luck either way, keen to see pics

I got them in, sitting properly with out any rubbing on the centre console so im pretty happy. I just need to work on the rear seat now and it'll be a worthwhile conversion.

The brackets aren't that great so I want to make a second version of them, and with any luck ill try and find someone with access to a CNC machine. (Does anyone know someone with access to one?)

Will post photos by the weekend

haha i finally got a new camera so ill sort some out this weekend :D

they look good and are quite comfy. Still thinking about the back