Sign in to follow this  
markpetrie

M3 TV

Hi,

Just bought my first M3 and love it, its a E90 M3 HP model with the TV upgrade, only problem is that the TV has a DVB-T tuner which is only MPEG2, which is designed for Australian and UK Freeview broadcasts, in NZ we need the MPEG4 tuners to support freeview. the tuner still picks up analog tv - but not for long once they switch this off.

I've asked the dealer and they are checking it out for me, but though I'd try my luck here too

Cheers

Mark

Hi M-Spec - thanks very much for that, however since this is a brand new car I would have though that BMW would have a MPEG4 card/option without having to go third party - or very soon all the cars they sell in NZ wont have a working TV (once analog switchoff starts)

Hi M-Spec - thanks very much for that, however since this is a brand new car I would have though that BMW would have a MPEG4 card/option without having to go third party - or very soon all the cars they sell in NZ wont have a working TV (once analog switchoff starts)

So is the car an import or NZ new?

So is the car an import or NZ new?

NZ New, brand new - just bought it yesterday straight from the dealer, currently has around 50kms on the clock which is about the distance from the dealer to home then to work today!

NZ New, brand new - just bought it yesterday straight from the dealer, currently has around 50kms on the clock which is about the distance from the dealer to home then to work today!

Sorry did not realize it was a brand spanker, I would be getting the dealer to sort it out for you, for that sort of $$ I would more than expect them to be stepping up to the mark.

Oh and since you are new you do realize that pics are mandatory.

Congrats on the purchase!

It seems odd that they wouldn't have the appropreate digital tuner installed from factory, NZ does have an 'odd' spec of digital broadcast but at that price point it shouldn't matter, i would be asking the dealer what the deal is.

Hi,

Just bought my first M3 and love it, its a E90 M3 HP model with the TV upgrade, only problem is that the TV has a DVB-T tuner which is only MPEG2, which is designed for Australian and UK Freeview broadcasts, in NZ we need the MPEG4 tuners to support freeview. the tuner still picks up analog tv - but not for long once they switch this off.

I've asked the dealer and they are checking it out for me, but though I'd try my luck here too

Cheers

Mark

BMW do not have any TV tuners that support MPEG-4

This applies to all BMWs, all models, all markets, the entire world

Maybe they may bring it out in the future (I don't know). If so, it would mean a hardware swap (replacement of the tuner) IF they every make a model for your car.

It seems odd that they wouldn't have the appropreate digital tuner installed from factory, NZ does have an 'odd' spec of digital broadcast but at that price point it shouldn't matter, i would be asking the dealer what the deal is.

BMW designers never made an MPEG4 compatible tuner.

BMW designers never made an MPEG4 compatible tuner.

interesting!

gona be some pretty pissy owners when analog finally goes out the window.

Time for that MPEG4/h264 DVB-T controlled via ibus/most tuner then Jochen! :)

I have seen that french site's project .. anything ever happen to that in the end ?

interesting!

gona be some pretty pissy owners when analog finally goes out the window.

I've flicked an email to the dealer and he's going to check with BMW NZ - but its a shame to hear that they have not made a MPEG4 tuner yet, hopefully BMW NZ can put some pressure on BMW to get something designed - although I presume they must be completely aware of this as its getting more common throughout Europe, will just be interesting to see what their opinion will be when analog switches off with the car under warranty and the TV stops working!

And for the pics - I'll grab some tomorrow, the dusty roads in Christchurch have made a bit of a mess and it needs a good clean! specs are the HP model colour Black with upgraded leather seats, Comfort Access System, Internet (although I need to take it back to the JG BMW to get the computer upgraded)

Interested to know what people think about the run flat tyres..

I hate to say it .. but BMW is a very market driven company. There are very few regions that support DVB-T MPEG4 / H264 yet unfortunatly. In NZ there are not that many cars with TV being sold new.

the crappy thing is, its only a firmware thing to support mpeg4/h264. You should see how slow BMW NZ are with putting out Nav map disk updates ...

Time for that MPEG4/h264 DVB-T controlled via ibus/most tuner then Jochen! :)

I have seen that french site's project .. anything ever happen to that in the end ?

I don’t think any 3rd party manufacture wants to spend money to develop such product for small market. Hope BMW can provide the solution with new DVB-T tuner specialty designed for NZ cars.

Since you brought the new car, hope your one come with BMW Connect drive feature with combox which allow you to have text message reading, iphone apps and Internet via your iDrive system :rolleyes: .

I hate to say it .. but BMW is a very market driven company. There are very few regions that support DVB-T MPEG4 / H264 yet unfortunatly. In NZ there are not that many cars with TV being sold new.

the crappy thing is, its only a firmware thing to support mpeg4/h264. You should see how slow BMW NZ are with putting out Nav map disk updates ...

Must be enough of a market for just about every electronic manufactures to supply DVB-T / MPEG4 / H264 capable TV's / PVR's / Set-top boxes.

And as you say "its only a firmware thing" but agree the glacial pace at which BMW NZ could get anything done.........

Edited by E30-323ti

will just be interesting to see what their opinion will be when analog switches off with the car under warranty and the TV stops working!

They won't be able to do anything

If someone sells you an AM radio, and the government turns off the AM radio transmitters, what can the seller do about it?

BMW have no influence over the analogue TV switch off, it is totally outside their control, so they will not be able to help you at all.

All they can do is send feedback to BMW Germany about what TV systems are available in this market and hope that BMW incorporate MPEG4 into their future designs.

Since you brought the new car, hope your one come with BMW Connect drive feature with combox which allow you to have text message reading, iphone apps and Internet via your iDrive system :rolleyes: .

I think that is the option 6NR? the dealers have said that I need to take the car back in next week for a software upgrade to make the internet feature work - I did order it with 614-615 which does not work at the moment, so hopefully it might all start working with the upgrade!

i have the run flat tyres on the 120d...they are harsh .....fine on smooth roads but noisy and harsh on anything else

I think that is the option 6NR? the dealers have said that I need to take the car back in next week for a software upgrade to make the internet feature work - I did order it with 614-615 which does not work at the moment, so hopefully it might all start working with the upgrade!

Yes, I did mean 6NR, you do need latest software on CIC to enable those features, it is nice to have Internet Tethering working with iDrive system. also you will get album cover when play ipod. :) I am doing the update on my CIC at moment, and retrofiting 6NR in my E92 :rolleyes:

hope they are not going to ask you to sign the disclaimer before the software update, (happened to me 2 years ago when I can't do update by myself) dealer does not want to take any responsibility if something goes wrong during the update. but if the software update is what they offer to you as an extra service on top of your purchase, then you should be fine :rolleyes:

Must be enough of a market for just about every electronic manufactures to supply DVB-T / MPEG4 / H264 capable TV's / PVR's / Set-top boxes.

Not quite the same - everyone (or almost everyone) has a TV so the market large. The market for new BMW's in NZ is somewhat smaller...

So what is different about our TV system? Are we on the bleeding edge, or have our decision makers f**ked us yet again and gone with a non standard standard?

Edited by elmarco

Not quite the same - everyone (or almost everyone) has a TV so the market large. The market for new BMW's in NZ is somewhat smaller...

So what is different about our TV system? Are we on the bleeding edge, or have our decision makers f**ked us yet again and gone with a non standard standard?

leading edge i beleive,because we are a latecomer to digital tv we can have the latest version of it

Hi,

Cheers

Mark

Mark, Very nice, you buy a M3 and you are complaining about the telly! Next thing you will be explaining that the pedals hurt your feet! Just kidding big boy.

Dave

Mark, Very nice, you buy a M3 and you are complaining about the telly! Next thing you will be explaining that the pedals hurt your feet! Just kidding big boy.

Dave

Hey Dave - your right, the TV has become less of a problem since I've managed to have a good drive around and must say that I absolutely love the car! just need to get it over that 2000k mark so that I can really open it up!

I was going to upload some photos but get this error - Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions

For the MPEG4 thing, there are actually a quite a few country using this now, even countrys in Europe, so I'm sure that they are going to have to sort it at some stage, hopefully its not a new decoder chip and is just a software update. there is a list here of all the countrys using MPEG4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T#America

The Auto stop start function is kind of cool, takes a bit of explaning to passengers as to the merits of your car engine stopping everytime you hit a red light! I've also found the voice recognition to work really well too, much better than the one on my iPhone

Hey Dave - your right, the TV has become less of a problem since I've managed to have a good drive around and must say that I absolutely love the car! just need to get it over that 2000k mark so that I can really open it up!

I was going to upload some photos but get this error - Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions

For the MPEG4 thing, there are actually a quite a few country using this now, even countrys in Europe, so I'm sure that they are going to have to sort it at some stage, hopefully its not a new decoder chip and is just a software update. there is a list here of all the countrys using MPEG4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T#America

The Auto stop start function is kind of cool, takes a bit of explaning to passengers as to the merits of your car engine stopping everytime you hit a red light! I've also found the voice recognition to work really well too, much better than the one on my iPhone

I couldn't get the pics to work either, upload them elsewhere and link to them here.

Edited by yo_clarkie