Sign in to follow this  
Matt

E30 clutch woes

Following on from my thread a couple of weeks ago about my clutch fluid pissing out into the drivers footwell, I have just replaced both the master and slave cylinders. I spent ages bleeding the whole system through by both bleeding through the nipple on the slave and by removing the slave and pushing in the pushrod to force air back out the other way. No more air was coming out of the system at the end and the clutch pedal felt firm. But when I fired up the car I couldn't put it in gear, indicating that the clutch isn't actually disengaging!!

Anybody got any ideas on this? Could I possibly have destroyed the seals on my brand new master cylinder during installation??

The car hasn't actually been driven for about 6 months so could something else have seized while it's been sitting?

Thanks in advance for the help.

what does the clutch pedal feel like when you push it down?

if you put it in 1st gear with engine off and start it with your foot on the clutch does it try to drive away?

Check to make sure,

the push rod on the slave cylinder is located into the fork inside the gearbox

there is definately no more air in it? (they can be HORRIBLE to blead.)

Clutch pedal has a consistent, firm feel over the whole range of travel. During bleeding it felt really spongy with all the air in the lines but that feeling has gone. I removed the slave at the end, pushed the rod in and a big bubble of air popped out the reservoir and a heap of fluid got pulled back in. I did it a few more times but it didn't change after that. It really feels like it is bled properly, agreed that it is a bitch to do though!

Could well be the slave isn't located properly I suppose. I tried to make sure it sat into the little indent but it wasn't exactly the most positive engagement, if you know what I mean? I wish the slave cylinder wasn't such a pain to take off, that top nut is a bitch to reach!!

a 3/8" ratchet, 6" extension and a 13mm socket and its easy to get.

if the clutch feels normal try selecting the gears when its turned off. if you can do it when its off but not when its running then there is a fault with the clutch,

That would mean either the clutch unit itself is stuck to the f.wheel, or they hydrolics arent working properly.

a 3/8" ratchet, 6" extension and a 13mm socket and its easy to get.

if the clutch feels normal try selecting the gears when its turned off. if you can do it when its off but not when its running then there is a fault with the clutch,

That would mean either the clutch unit itself is stuck to the f.wheel, or they hydrolics arent working properly.

Yeah, i have a 1/4" ratchet, which is too small, and a 1/2" ratchet which I can JUST squeeze in, real tight fit though haha.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, I can select gears when it's off and car tries to drive away if I then go to start it.

Maybe I just need to get it to someone with a bit more experience than I have. Guts.

The car hasn't actually been driven for about 6 months so could something else have seized while it's been sitting?

Assuming the hydraulic system is bled properly and the slave cylinder rod located correctly ... its possible for the clutch to stick to the flywheel if left for a while.

Simplest way to get it unstuck is to put it in gear with the engine off and clutch pedal and brake down, then crank the starter - make sure there is nothing in front of the car(!) as it will try and move forwards.

There are other ways that are less shock on your driveline etc - try google. You have to be sure that the pushing the clutch pedal is disengaging the clutch before trying it.