Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 wont start!

hey guys,

Replaced a few frost plugs which didnt go to well so took them out and done them the proper way which seems to be allgood. However my car will not start, have checked for spark and is fine, my dad checked coil and fuel and both were fine. Why the car was off the road we also opened up valve rocker cover to inspect the cam etc. All vaccum pipes etc have all been plugged back in. Every time it catches and is about to start normanly it gives up faster than i can say f**k lol.

really dont know what in the blue f**k is going on here so any help would be much appreciated as usual

cheers

Mitch

Thats what we were using lol. One thing that i found until i gave up was the spark plugs had alot of oily sh*t build up around them, gave them a good clean and got to dark before i was able to reinstall them. Perhaps this could have been the problem? one other thing i noticed was when we were trying to start black puffs were coming out exhaust and smelt very stong of fuel.

^^^^ My bet it's flooded.

Remove plugs again, clean & dry, or better - replace

With plugs out, wide open throttle & crank the engine to clear. Refit plugs

^^^^ My bet it's flooded.

Remove plugs again, clean & dry, or better - replace

With plugs out, wide open throttle & crank the engine to clear. Refit plugs

Cleaned up plugs and left them out to dry overnight, charged battery fully up put plugs back in and tried to start her up again. Was almost about to catch and certainly sounded better than last time but still nothing. My dad removed the intake boot and vaccum hoses then made a coffee and not realising it was off i started it up and it went first time!! put the intake boot and vaccumm hoses back on and tried starting again and nothing? thinking it could be afm? icv is real clean no dirt at all on it.

Is your air flow meter plugged in?

yeap all contacts are clean and is plugged in.

yeap all contacts are clean and is plugged in.

this is a quick summary of what is going on:

No intake boot but maf still plugged in: starts fine

No intake boot but maf unplugged: wont start (will crank and almost catch but wont go)

No airbox and no maf plugged in and no intake boot: wont start

Does this sound like the maf needs a clean? if yes could someone please enlighten me on it.

cheers

Mitch

Have you checked the vane (flap) in the AFM ?... it may be jammed. Maybe try another AFM off another members car that is working properly.

sounds like AFM, change it "like for like", not any random one that is the same size

give me a call if you get stuck, have plenty

cheers

Jon

sounds like AFM, change it "like for like", not any random one that is the same size

give me a call if you get stuck, have plenty

cheers

Jon

Flap within the AFM is free, looks as though i will be paying you a visit Jon. As a electrical feature of the car does it need the AFM plugged in to start the car? because i have the intake boot off and free and the vaccumm pipes free and the AFM unplugged and nothing. Plug in the MAF leave the intake boot dicconnected and vaccum piped disconnected and she goes first time.

Flap within the AFM is free, looks as though i will be paying you a visit Jon. As a electrical feature of the car does it need the AFM plugged in to start the car? because i have the intake boot off and free and the vaccumm pipes free and the AFM unplugged and nothing. Plug in the MAF leave the intake boot dicconnected and vaccum piped disconnected and she goes first time.

Cheers Jon, installed that AFM and fixed up gauge cluster running like new now!!! :) old AFM was fried and completly f**ked lol.

Cheers

Mitch