Sign in to follow this  
BigKriss

bought a turbo kit

made by avo in melbourne.

Its a low mount using the stock exhaust manifolds, intercooled, 3" exhaust, t3 turbo (I measured the wheels, they were on ~42mm on the intake side and ~55mm on the exhaust side), and a wolf 3d ecu to run the hardware.

I have to purchase some more items, like an uprated fuel pump, spark plugs, oil and coolant lines, and then I have to work out where all the connections goes. there are some pics here;

https://picasaweb.google.com/Kristianandlily/AVOE34TurboKit#

all comments are appreciated, besides the one that the turbo is too small for the engine. i think in the future I will get a turbo off a ford xr6 turbo (garrett 3540). >> hopfeully it would fit with no problems.

all comments are appreciated, besides the one that the turbo is too small for the engine. i think in the future I will get a turbo off a ford xr6 turbo (garrett 3540). >> hopfeully it would fit with no problems.

LOL that was my comment / suggestion.

And didn't say it was too small for the engine, I said, Personally, I think it is too small.

My guess is, at best, it's a T3 core w/stg 3 Turbine (55mm exducer) & T04B comp-cover w/S-trim Comp-wheel (inducer of 48.3mm), but I don't think you could measure it that badly. ~42mm which is more like a 50 Trim T03 Comp-wheel in a T03 Comp-HSG

T03 50trim Compressor Map (with M30B34 @ 9psi ~300hp)

As you can see you will fall off the compressor map somewhere ~4k rpm

Are you sure this is the original turbo AVO would have supplied?

I recall reading a ZOOM magazine (a long time ago) which had a turbo E28 & E34 (2.8l & 3.4l) article which I think had the AVO kits??

GT3582R Compressor Map FYI (same boost/power from above)

and very happy GT3582R - 400hp on 16psi

Good to hear you are going with a tune-able ECU, it will make it more reliable in the long run.

'BM Weapon' has a lot of experience with turbo M30's so would be a good point of contact.

IIRC his turbo's were in the full T4 size range (a T70 rings a bell).

Edited by E30-323ti

Love the manifold. Looking forward to seeing how this gets on

oops, wrong button

Edited by E30-323ti

I love boost. That is all

PS. what is with the 2 end mufflers?

I see they bolt off easily. For "track days" or when you want a bit more noise?

one is a straight through "cannon" type, the other is a quieter mullfer, the previous owner, said the quieter one, produced less boost, so he just ran the straight through one.

so exactly, they bolt on depending on how loud i want it

PS. what is with the 2 end mufflers?

I see they bolt off easily. For "track days" or when you want a bit more noise?

Edited by BigKriss

Thanks for your comments mate, (on e30tech.com also). :)

Yeah, im the thrid owner of the kit. I dont think the turbo has been upgraded before, but Im not sure, becasue I havent spoken with AVO. I do know the previous owner got the seals redone on the turbo, and he didnt upgrade it then, so I assume its original.

I have PM'ed BM weapon before on his top mount split pulse manifold using stock exhaust manifolds, I really liked the look of them.

I just have to understand the wolf3d v4 and get around to understand how to tune.

It came with a wiring harness for the stock sensors, so its all pulg and play, with a map for my engine already there.

Ive posted on mye28.com, performanceforums.com and here. most people are saying the turbo is too small.

cheers

LOL that was my comment / suggestion.

And didn't say it was too small for the engine, I said, Personally, I think it is too small.

My guess is, at best, it's a T3 core w/stg 3 Turbine (55mm exducer) & T04B comp-cover w/S-trim Comp-wheel (inducer of 48.3mm), but I don't think you could measure it that badly. ~42mm which is more like a 50 Trim T03 Comp-wheel in a T03 Comp-HSG

T03 50trim Compressor Map (with M30B34 @ 9psi ~300hp)

As you can see you will fall off the compressor map somewhere ~4k rpm

Are you sure this is the original turbo AVO would have supplied?

I recall reading a ZOOM magazine (a long time ago) which had a turbo E28 & E34 (2.8l & 3.4l) article which I think had the AVO kits??

GT3582R Compressor Map FYI (same boost/power from above)

and very happy GT3582R - 400hp on 16psi

Good to hear you are going with a tune-able ECU, it will make it more reliable in the long run.

'BM Weapon' has a lot of experience with turbo M30's so would be a good point of contact.

IIRC his turbo's were in the full T4 size range (a T70 rings a bell).

With the zf-4HP22EH transmission, thats in my car, does it use/rely on the ECU to change gears?

Im asking becasue I will turbo my car, the ecu that comes with it is aftermarket (Wolf 3D v4) and I'm not sure if the car will work with it installed? This is because the kit was on a manual transmission that I purchased it off.

Don't bother keeping the auto...

You can convert it for about 1k using second hand parts, maybe cheaper

With the zf-4HP22EH transmission, thats in my car, does it use/rely on the ECU to change gears?

Im asking becasue I will turbo my car, the ecu that comes with it is aftermarket (Wolf 3D v4) and I'm not sure if the car will work with it installed? This is because the kit was on a manual transmission that I purchased it off.

Some do, some dont, if it does it will have an electrical plug on the left hand side of it just above the oil pan.

These gearboxes arent very strong anyway.

Edit: I think the 'EH' denotes that it is the electronic version, it is easy enough to double check by looking anyway.

Edited by polley

Manual gearboxes / swap -overs dont appear often in Australia and its common to use e28 gearboxes. I'm not sure I could do it for 1k, most likely 2k.

Anyway I can't drive a manual. I would like to keep the auto.

Don't bother keeping the auto...

You can convert it for about 1k using second hand parts, maybe cheaper

Yeah it has the trans program selection button next to the shift handle on the transmission. Does this mean it wont work?

Some do, some dont, if it does it will have an electrical plug on the left hand side of it just above the oil pan.

These gearboxes arent very strong anyway.

Edit: I think the 'EH' denotes that it is the electronic version, it is easy enough to double check by looking anyway.

They don't rely on the ECU for shifting. if they are anything like the M20 EH trans.

I have a Manual 525i ECU in my car.

they have their own TCU in the boot.

Would throw it away for a manual, they are f**king completely batshit retarded at shifting for performance orented driving.

Edited by antil33t

They don't rely on the ECU for shifting. if they are anything like the M20 EH trans.

I have a Manual 525i ECU in my car.

they have their own TCU in the boot.

Would throw it away for a manual, they are f**king completely batshit retarded at shifting for performance orented driving.

Are you sure? IIRC they have some wires that go to the engine ECU.

I converted a PFL e30 from motronic 1.0 or 1.1 or whatever it was to motronic 1.3 (needed new loom, and crank trigger etc) and after that the gearbox was stuck in limp mode, the TCU obviously was not getting a required signal from the ECU. It probably gets engine RPM so it can calculate torque converter slip or some thing and maybe also grabs engine load amongst other things.

There is a place that rebuilds the 4hp22 and replaces the clutches and other parts from a 4hp24 which are much larger and stronger, not sure if it requires any machining or the parts may be a direct swap.

This is what I am thinking. I think the best way to check is to remove the motronic and install the wolf ecu whilst I still have everything else standard on teh car.

Are you sure? IIRC they have some wires that go to the engine ECU.

I converted a PFL e30 from motronic 1.0 or 1.1 or whatever it was to motronic 1.3 (needed new loom, and crank trigger etc) and after that the gearbox was stuck in limp mode, the TCU obviously was not getting a required signal from the ECU. It probably gets engine RPM so it can calculate torque converter slip or some thing and maybe also grabs engine load amongst other things.

There is a place that rebuilds the 4hp22 and replaces the clutches and other parts from a 4hp24 which are much larger and stronger, not sure if it requires any machining or the parts may be a direct swap.

I think you know a lot about turbos. I measured the compressor wheel from the front of the turbo and its ~50mm.

What is the approximate max power output of this turbo ????

The previous owner got 210rwkw on a dyno dynamics dyno. He said it was at ~12 pounds of boost, but goes up to 15 on the street. I dont know if the 210 figure was at 12 or 15 pounds though.

My guess is, at best, it's a T3 core w/stg 3 Turbine (55mm exducer) & T04B comp-cover w/S-trim Comp-wheel (inducer of 48.3mm),

Edited by BigKriss