Sign in to follow this  
beemw

Need Advice on getting a 545i 2004

Hi all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Have been a Lexus driver so far but sold it recently and would like to get a BMW. Need opinion on a 545i, done 76K, 2004. Very good condition apart from a small dent on passenger door and right side driver wheel damaged by curb. Are these two expensive to maintain/run. Are we looking at any major expenses when it nears 80K or 100k. Any idea on how much the price should be? It's a Jap import, came to NZ in 2005 with 11000K, condition is very very good and was sold to the seller by a very reputable dealer in Chch

Thanks

Hi Sagar, the E60 545s are generally good cars, they're not bad on gas as they have valvetronic (varible lift) and dual Vanos (Varible valve timing) all fuel saving and power gadgets. The cooling systems aern't too bad, the expansion tanks are the only thing i've seen failing so far, i've replaced a few automatic transmissions on E60s due to non servicing, (they're not life time oiled) so something else to look at.

Overall are good looking, good going cars.

Hi Sagar, the E60 545s are generally good cars, they're not bad on gas as they have valvetronic (varible lift) and dual Vanos (Varible valve timing) all fuel saving and power gadgets. The cooling systems aern't too bad, the expansion tanks are the only thing i've seen failing so far, i've replaced a few automatic transmissions on E60s due to non servicing, (they're not life time oiled) so something else to look at.

Overall are good looking, good going cars.

Hi Greg,thanks for the reply. When you say their transmissions are not life time oiled, does that mean they will definitely fail at some stage, how many k's roughly. My main concern regarding this 545i is about any major expense that can come in the near future, it's done 76000K. What do you think should be the price of the car I described and are you able to tell me a rough idea on annual maintenance for this particular one. Cheers

Hi Greg,thanks for the reply. When you say their transmissions are not life time oiled, does that mean they will definitely fail at some stage, how many k's roughly. My main concern regarding this 545i is about any major expense that can come in the near future, it's done 76000K. What do you think should be the price of the car I described and are you able to tell me a rough idea on annual maintenance for this particular one. Cheers

The trans will last longer if serviced, people don't service them as they're told they are sealed for life, the trans used in the E60s don't have a oil filter as such but the oil can still be changed. They should be serviced at the 100K mark roughly. Cars and engines can be unpredictable at the best of times, as i say i've never come across any major faults with them, (some others here may have?)

If you're keen on the car but unsure reliability wise you can always get a mechanical warrenty.

Unsure what the price should be as i only fix them :lol: How much is it going for?

The best way to get an idea of pricing of maintenance is to go into your local BMW outfit and ask them, servicing costs vary.

The trans will last longer if serviced, people don't service them as they're told they are sealed for life, the trans used in the E60s don't have a oil filter as such but the oil can still be changed. They should be serviced at the 100K mark roughly. Cars and engines can be unpredictable at the best of times, as i say i've never come across any major faults with them, (some others here may have?)

If you're keen on the car but unsure reliability wise you can always get a mechanical warrenty.

Unsure what the price should be as i only fix them :lol: How much is it going for?

The best way to get an idea of pricing of maintenance is to go into your local BMW outfit and ask them, servicing costs vary.

It's going for around $27000, it's a bit over my budget but I like it a lot. So, what is the cost of servicing the trans at 100K? Also, do you have to take it to a BMW authorized service place to get the oil/filter or brake pads etc replaced or any good mechanic can do a similar job.

It's going for around $27000, it's a bit over my budget but I like it a lot. So, what is the cost of servicing the trans at 100K? Also, do you have to take it to a BMW authorized service place to get the oil/filter or brake pads etc replaced or any good mechanic can do a similar job.

That's not a bad price for that vehicle at those KMs, also unsure on the price of the trans service, i don't run the circus i just do the tricks ha. For peace of mind i'd take it to a BMW dealer, they know the vehicles and how to fix, service etc. That's what the training is for haha.

You might want to PM Glenn here for pricing of parts etc, he runs the "circus" at Botany Motor Works or he might see this thread.

That's not a bad price for that vehicle at those KMs, also unsure on the price of the trans service, i don't run the circus i just do the tricks ha. For peace of mind i'd take it to a BMW dealer, they know the vehicles and how to fix, service etc. That's what the training is for haha.

You might want to PM Glenn here for pricing of parts etc, he runs the "circus" at Botany Motor Works or he might see this thread.

Yeah I thought so as similar car at a dealer is $35k and that's 2004. Team Mcmillan are selling for lot more. Apparently a dealer offered $26K, only bad thing about the car is a small dent on the passenger side and the driver side wheel has been damaged badly by hitting a curb or something. There is another thing though, near the passenger side on the windscreen, there is a thing on the windshield that looks like some sort of glue leak or melt but it actually looks like windscreen cracked, but on the black part where wipers sit.

Yeah I thought so as similar car at a dealer is $35k and that's 2004. Team Mcmillan are selling for lot more. Apparently a dealer offered $26K, only bad thing about the car is a small dent on the passenger side and the driver side wheel has been damaged badly by hitting a curb or something. There is another thing though, near the passenger side on the windscreen, there is a thing on the windshield that looks like some sort of glue leak or melt but it actually looks like windscreen cracked, but on the black part where wipers sit.

The windshield will need replacing, they will agree if brought up. Dents and curbed wheels can be fixed cheaply enough too.

The windshield will need replacing, they will agree if brought up. Dents and curbed wheels can be fixed cheaply enough too.

Hi Greg, what do you think about this one, ending tonight, haven't test driven it though, that 545i is not of interest anymore, price was over budget and that windscreen thing has put me off.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=372467181

If your looking at an E46 what about this Bad Boy.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-373221332.htm

Good buy IMO

Looks good, I am new to BMW so want to buy a good, decent looking one but not sure which one to go for, what do you think of this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=374687391

My budget was around $18000 but can go up tp $25K if the car is good like this one I wanted to buy, drove really good but had a problem on the windscreen and owner won't come down on price -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=373020345

Hi beemw: welcome to the forum what made you decide to try out a BMW. The lexus are a solid car all round and reliable to I'm informed. From your comments I think you will need to set yourself a few goals ie. how much do you want to spend

now start looking in that price range and stick to it

What type of beemer do you want Coupe, sedan, tourer/wagon, compact

Manual or auto, year, colour, interior type etc etc

That way you can narrow your search to a few cars very quickly. Do not wish to offend by stating the obvious but just pass on what I have found that worked for me while looking and still for another vehicle.

Cheers best of luck

The moisture in the windscreen is not a problem, full cover insurance will sort that out. The E46 you posted looks good, bit underpowered but ok for around town etc, the 330, Josh's car, is also a nice vehicle with a lot of money spent on it, two different cars though, depends what motor size you want to go with etc.

Hi beemw: welcome to the forum what made you decide to try out a BMW. The lexus are a solid car all round and reliable to I'm informed. From your comments I think you will need to set yourself a few goals ie. how much do you want to spend

now start looking in that price range and stick to it

What type of beemer do you want Coupe, sedan, tourer/wagon, compact

Manual or auto, year, colour, interior type etc etc

That way you can narrow your search to a few cars very quickly. Do not wish to offend by stating the obvious but just pass on what I have found that worked for me while looking and still for another vehicle.

Cheers best of luck

You have given good advice Allan. I had a Lexus RX330 and loved it, just bored with SUV and now want to get a good sedan and to be honest I don't mind getting a Lexus sedan, it's just that after test driving the BMW, it feels more steady to drive and overall driving pleasure. I couldn't get a chance to test drive the E46 and the auction is closing in an hour. What do you guys think is a reasonable price if I decide to win it, dealer seems good, only imports quality cars it seems, here's the link again -

I am looking for a sedan, leather interior, preferably beige. At least 2000 cc motor, auto, 2003-2005, dark color preferable but if car is good I don't mind the color much. Price range is around $20k

I am also interested in this Lexus, going to check it out this weekend.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=372907178

Shape is a bit old style though compared to the E46, what do you guys think?

Edited by beemw

How does this one look, since it is going to be my first BMW,I am thinking of starting with a cheaper one, incase I don't like it or it's too expensive to maintain. If I go to check this one out, any advice on what to look for while inspecting or you guys recommend a professional inspection (that's gonna cost at least $100)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-375346347.htm

Expensive camry, you could get quite a lot of BMW for 20g, if you miss out on one there will always be a better one round the corner. Keep looking, you'll find one.

Hi Sagar.

Personally I don't like that particular Lexus - looks wise.

Regards BMW - you do seem to be skipping to extremes of models/engine sizes.

As Allan has said - decide on something you are interested in, drive a few vehicles to get a feel for them, then once you have found one - get it checked by a BMW dealer or notable BMW repairer (of which there are quite a few) Where are you situated?

You have given good advice Allan. I had a Lexus RX330 and loved it, just bored with SUV and now want to get a good sedan and to be honest I don't mind getting a Lexus sedan, it's just that after test driving the BMW, it feels more steady to drive and overall driving pleasure. I couldn't get a chance to test drive the E46 and the auction is closing in an hour. What do you guys think is a reasonable price if I decide to win it, dealer seems good, only imports quality cars it seems, here's the link again -

I am looking for a sedan, leather interior, preferably beige. At least 2000 cc motor, auto, 2003-2005, dark color preferable but if car is good I don't mind the color much. Price range is around $20k

I am also interested in this Lexus, going to check it out this weekend.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=372907178

Shape is a bit old style though compared to the E46, what do you guys think?

Under-statement of the century, Sorry to say I think that thing looks horrible. Blander than dry white bread.

Edited by braeden.

^ Agreed, definately don't get that lexus.

If you don't mind an auto, I think josh's 330i e46 (posted above) is good buying for the money thats been spent. IIRC Ray at HellBm (the guy selling it) also has a 6 speed conversion for it waiting if you're that way inclined.

But yeah sorry, that lexus is horrible (imo, ofcourse)

Edit: To add something more constructive, that silver 318i looks nice, I wouldn't think that it's worth too much more than the bid atm though being a 318i.

Edited by sascha

i think you need to drive a few cars first.The problem with BMWs for beginners is there is a bewildering number of models,they can look similar but can vary widely in price .

A 545 is a hugely different car than a 318.It probably cost twice as much when new.

A 545 is a hugely different car than a 318.It probably cost twice as much when new.

Will probably cost twice as much to service and maintain as well.

@beemw, you'll need to decide what you'd like to get, drive a couple of examples of both the 3 and 5 series. They are completely different animals, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Another candidate for $25k, test drive the 1 series. I have seen a few that are around the $27k mark, surely the seller (dealer) will let it go for $25k. And it's going to be NZ New which is a plus.

Edited by 318Touring

Nup - not being a pain. Questions to those who know are always good.

As I & others have said - drive different cars to get a feeling of them - they vastly different between models & even same vehicles at times.

That one looks quite a nice car, again another 4 cyl 318. If you want some comparison to Lexus - I suggest you look at 6 cyl engines (whatever model). BMW make some of the best 6's in the business.

My reason for suggesting you were lokking at extremes was that one minute it was a V8, the next a 4 cyl.

And I repeat - Golden Rule - get it checked by a BMW expert BEFORE you purchase.

You say you are in Botany - go & see Glenn (forum sponsor) at Botany Motor Works with any car you intend to purchase. Before you do this though - I seriously suggest you drive a few vehicles first to decide what you may like.

OK, so Lexus is a total no after hearing reading what people have to say about it, lol. I don't wanna be seen driving it now, lol. Narrowed down my preference, definitely want 6 cylinder at least 2500cc, preferably 5 series. There is a car of interest at turners, being auctioned tomorrow. Only problem is, I won't be able to show it to Glenn.

What do you guys thing about buying a Beemer from turners?

Here is the link, please look at other Beemers at turners and advice if there is a better one

http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Ca...px?RefId=890366

OK, so Lexus is a total no after hearing reading what people have to say about it, lol. I don't wanna be seen driving it now, lol. Narrowed down my preference, definitely want 6 cylinder at least 2500cc, preferably 5 series. There is a car of interest at turners, being auctioned tomorrow. Only problem is, I won't be able to show it to Glenn.

What do you guys thing about buying a Beemer from turners?

Here is the link, please look at other Beemers at turners and advice if there is a better one

http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Ca...px?RefId=890366

looks ok but pic's of cars do not tell 1000 words, especially in terms of interior wear/tear. i would be reluctant to getting one without having it checked first ... but on the + side, turners do have warrantys available.

also be aware that getting the GPS nav to work on i-drive enabled cars can be very expensive if they were imported from japan. Alot of people buy them thinking awesome ill chuck a nz map disc in and will have built in nav! ... its not that simple.