Sign in to follow this  
paulo

540i Motorsport e39 facelift 2001+

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a 540i Motorsport in the $12000 - $15000 price range.

Must be / must have:

- 2001 onwards model with the xenon headlights and led tail lights

- sports seats (I've noticed that some Motorsports still have the standard or "comfort" seats fitted)

- silver (titanium?) interior trim (as opposed to wood)

- m-sport steering wheel with full quota of buttons for cruise / radio volume / aircon recirc and phone (if it has one)

Preferably have:

- widescreen TV

- Phone or pre-wired for phone

- a body colour other than silver (Black, Red, Grey or Blue would be best!)

- less than 130,000km

- service history

- non smoker vehicle

Could also be tempted by the lesser powered 530i motorsport if it had the same spec or better as above.

Or possibly a 740i Motorsport, although I know there are not too many of these about!

Thanks

Paul

Good luck on the hunt - I've just spent my weekend trying to help someone find a similar MSport E39.

For under $15k you'll need some luck to get one that matches that description!

(But that's part of the fun......)

There are some very untidy examples out there, especially at dealers stating they are 'auction grade 4'.

agreed! DO NOT take any notice of the auction gradings they are rubbish.

Also alot of the cars at dealers have been sitting there for some time so don't be afraid to haggle.

Exactly.

There's a black '01 528i Motorsport at a dealer in Grey Lynn that's been on the yard 3 years (no exaggeration).

It's only done 57kms, and is listed at $20k. But he said he'd take $17k.

Still overpriced in my opinion.

Let us know how you get on!

agreed! DO NOT take any notice of the auction gradings they are rubbish.

Also alot of the cars at dealers have been sitting there for some time so don't be afraid to haggle.

There's a black '01 528i Motorsport

This is another thing, altho it maybe registered as a 2001 that has no bearing on when it was actually built, only when it was first registered. eg. 528 stopped production in 2000

Yeah it was built in 07/00 according to the VIN

This is another thing, altho it maybe registered as a 2001 that has no bearing on when it was actually built, only when it was first registered. eg. 528 stopped production in 2000

This is a tidy car. Buy it and paint it whatever colour you want for a few thousand, I would go Orange.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-375836400.htm

I wouldn’t be put off by KM’s, it has a FSH which is more than what most of the Jap import rubbish has.

I would say your requirements will be hard to fill on your budget looking in the normal places, I would be looking at the likes of Turners or taking a large wad of cash to wave in front of car dealers or make them more enthusiastic about a low ball offer.

B)

Yes, I'm looking to buy privately, as dealer's are still asking $15K ++ for one in the spec that I'm after. I've been keeping an eye on the market for a while now, and although plenty are listed for $15K+ (even privately), I've yet to see one actually SELL for those prices. A black 540i Motorsport (facelift, 2001) sold by auction recently for $12,000 at oval.co.nz It ticked all the boxes for me, but had a noisy top engine sound (could have been just a sticky lifter that may have been simply cured with a can of lifter cleaner and an oil change, but at that stage I was unable to view it personally or arrange a mechanical inspection so was not prepared to take the chance!)

I'm prepared to wait for the right one to turn up, but I realise that I'll probably be waiting a while!

There was a nice 530i Motorsport up for sale a few months ago - I think it was on Trade Me, and it may have been on Bimmersport too.

It was NZ New, 2003, approx 160,000km , individual colour (pearl grey, i think), and had been chipped to about 235 bhp.

Does anyone know if it's still available for sale? I think it was about $12 - $13k at the time.

had been chipped to about 235 bhp.

lawl don't get sucked in by this bs, even if it is true its just confirmation that it has been thrashed.

Bump

Still looking for one...