Sign in to follow this  
JiB

Megane RS

I keep coming back to this in my TradeMe adventures.

Can owners (cough Graham :P ) tell me what the running costs are like? From Graham's previous posts on his car, some basic parts appear to be horrendously expensive!

So is it going to cost lots to keep maintained? I can manage ~$500/10,000km services, or do modern Frenchies demand more than the Germans?

Are there weak points that will need specialty parts?

Will it handle a couple of track days without exploding/destroying my wallet? (Have had a couple of cars with Brembos now, the pads/discs sure ain't cheap!)

Is there any pre-requisite safe-proofing for said trackdays? (My EP3 Civic needed a baffled sump before trackday adventures)

How "French" is the reliability? I can't seem to find any documented failures?

The fatty RS225, what differentiates it from the Team F1/R26? LSD? Spring kit?

It is also a lot of ANCAP stars that should satiate girlfriend/parents safety fixation. It also worries me that there is a lot of traction control/ASC/electro-nanny - can this be turned off for trackdays? Or if it can't be turned off (like our '10 vRS) is it intrusive?

The goal would be a comfy car that I won't get bored of/feel the need to sell in a couple of months :rolleyes: . The ability to have a hoon on track/backroads is a bonus.

They look funny, that’s the first thing you will need to be comfortable with, if you have thin skin and care what other people think these cars are not for you because you will constantly have people telling you how ugly it is… These people normally drive $2,000 white Subaru VW Corolla and would never buy anything remotely exciting.

If you appreciate good engineering and design, function over form and a bloody good drive you will be happy.

Build quality is average at best but they are very reliable and strong at the same time, I track mine once a month and drive it very very hard.. and that’s in-between Targa events B)

The one listed is in Renault Sport talk a “Full fat non Cup†which means it’s the nana version, soft springs, soft steering, open diff and non switchable driving aids. A set of H&R’s would sort it and the driving aids are not that intrusive, they are more complimentary than anything and a real help if you are a stomp and point driver.

That car is due for a cam-belt/water pump change if I hasn’t been done, account for 2k in parts for that, also account for engine mounts and possibly tie rods if they haven’t been done, think of these cars as a BMW M car equivalent, elements are designed with less compromise and cars are sold in smaller numbers meaning RS parts are more expensive. If you ever did get one and needed parts they can be got cheaper through different channels than Renault Dealers and I can point you in the right direction. You can service it yourself like any other car.

What you really want is the Cup Version if you can find one, they are rare here as Renault didn’t sell them until the facelift NZ new, there are the odd import Cups that would be worth a look at.

Cheers.

TBH I have learnt a lot the hard way with mine and after a few years I have quite a few tips for enjoyable ownership, most of it is knowing where to look for things. If you or anyone else did get an RS feel free to email me for advice on where to look.

You mentioned Brembo?? They are the same as on a EVO-5/6/7, Imprezza STI etc, parts can be ordered direct through Brembo NZ (Autoquip Marketing).

Well, I happily owned some ugly cars that were brilliant to drive (Bug-eye STi and a shoebox Type R). Fortunately, I couldn't care less what others think.

Also, 70%, if not more of my driving is on the highway - so the "nana-spec" is actually a plus I suppose.

The trademe example has full NZ service history and cambelt was done at 74 kms.

I think my main worry is the costs involved in keeping it in good condition. For example, how much are engine mounts/tie rods?

Also, bit of an odd question, but how adjustable is the factory setup? Can I play with the camber/toe/castor? Or do I need to purchase aftermarket items?

They are very good every day cars, no turbo lag and power everywhere, over 300nm from 2000rpm, you can lazy drive it like an auto.

Suspension wise you don’t need to adjust anything and can’t do much at all, a crack team of Frenchmen did that in the factory, I run 100% OEM suspension in Targa and it handles great, better than any other car I have driven on kiwi roads. If I had a non cup I would look at putting the cup suspension it, you can have a drive of mine if you want, it’s a KYB/Eibach matched combo and works a treat.

Genuine Engine mounts are a waste of time and were designed to cut out vibration at idle, what you want is these, they cost half as much as OEM to.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.as...50&appid=12

Be careful, that site gets very interesting if you’re a RS fan

Yep a humble FWD hatchback.

It’s hard to fathom and even harder to articulate, especially to the RWD faithful, I know because I was a neighsayer and would argue to the death that FWD was sh*t and could not be fun . One drive on a twisty piece of rough kiwi backroad and it all becomes quite clear.

Throw in a 100kg weight loss and some semi slicks and it is a magic thing, very fast and very fun.

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/240...ivers_cars.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPf2PdJCx0Q

Na. That was a crap car.. these on the other hand.

Posted Image

agreed ^^^^ just picking. they're excellent and faster than most. awesome you targa'd one nearly stock. MUCH faster in the loose stuff too i image

still - nothing like coming outta a roundabout sideways =)

Doing a Scandinavian flick into a corner sideways and powering out at the apex is a bit of fun in the Renault as is lift off oversteer at 180kph, it requires a bit of madness but is still fun, I had a guy at a trackday come up to me and say he didnt know these were rwd after following me in the wet for a couple of laps.

Agree you still can’t beat that rwd powerslide sensation when you want to muck around, it’s not fast but it is fun!

My ultimate rally car would be RWD version of what I have, its a shame it doesn't exist.

Edited by Apex

A Clio does. Buy it, lol.

<and don't cry that its mid-engined>