Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

LED Angel Eyes (E39)

I just got a pair of LED Angel Eye bulbs off eBay for my E39.

They look awesome, but....

At startup, during the normal check, they pulse for about 10 seconds while the car sends a small current to check everything.

Is there any way to stop this?

Would coding fix this?

Cheers

At startup, during the normal check, they pulse for about 10 seconds while the car sends a small current to check everything.

Is there any way to stop this?

Would coding fix this?

I would think that re coding the Light Check Module to NOT Hot or Cold check those lights would do the trick.

NavCoder software is good for this. A couple of members on the forum offer to do this in their local area if you do not feel that Jochens retirement fund is not a worthwhile cause.

Another option would be to place a load resister across the lamps so that the LCM sees a similar resistance to the original lamps and won't report a fault, and the resister will sink the pulse current which MAY NOT cause the lamps to flash. I have not tested this but have played with other light circuits on the E39.

Better check they pass WOFs. eBay headlights are usually made for use in the States.. Meaning LHD which means the beam is flipped the other way round. Caused a massive issue for me with my eBay headlights. In the end reverted to OEM.

($2300 later)

I got Angel Eye bulbs.....

The headlights are OEM Hella - cheers tho

Better check they pass WOFs. eBay headlights are usually made for use in the States.. Meaning LHD which means the beam is flipped the other way round. Caused a massive issue for me with my eBay headlights. In the end reverted to OEM.

($2300 later)

Crazy Dave - that sounds good. Cheers for the advice.

Edited by brunch

I have the Mtec ones off ebay ... havn't seen this issue with them.

Can code out the checking on the LCM for you if you want.

Some will be load sensing whereas some wont.

The "add on" angel eye rings that I got for mine a few years back (earlier lights) have ballasts to mimmick the orginal bulb. Even some of this type were not load sensing.

As Matt said - the LCM monitoring can be turned off with Navcoder etc

So you can turn the monitoring off for AEs / park lights?

Some will be load sensing whereas some wont.

The "add on" angel eye rings that I got for mine a few years back (earlier lights) have ballasts to mimmick the orginal bulb. Even some of this type were not load sensing.

As Matt said - the LCM monitoring can be turned off with Navcoder etc

Edited by brunch

So you can turn the monitoring off for AEs / park lights?

Yes, depending on version and coding index of the fitted LCM

It wont stop the flashing unfortunitely. The e46 had LED rings and they still got triggered. Even my previous CCFL rings did it after coding out.

I had a similar issue (e46) with running LED angel eyes in the DRLs, although it was much worse because the rechecking that the LCM does would send just enough power through to trigger them every 30-40 seconds - not a good look when driving during the day, or at the WOF station!

I was to take it into a sparky to see if a capacitor/resistor could be added but I never did because I got called into work. I ended up just re-using my old CCFLs (I thought these had startup strobe, but i've just checked and they don't :lol: )

Edited by dr_kahu

I have the Mtec ones off ebay ... havn't seen this issue with them.

+1