Sign in to follow this  
dickhead

Importing stuff from china

I'm thinking of importing some products from China to sell on, hopefully at a profit. Basically I have decided on a product and have found a source but am unsure as to how I should proceed from here ie how much of the shipping I will have to organise etc. I have little knowledge in the area but am keen to learn. Nothing I have found online has given me any helpful advice, so I thought I would ask here. Is there anything I should know or consider before starting out? Any help would be appreciated.

I say if you don't already have good contacts and experience, avoid it. Chances are you will probably be the one getting ripped off.

I say if you don't already have good contacts and experience, avoid it. Chances are you will probably be the one getting ripped off.

Ripped off in the sense that the products will be crap? Or literally ripped off as in they keep the money without sending anything?

Depends on what quantity you are talking about. If you are not buying things by container-ful, you can pretty much forget talking to manufacturer. That leave you so-called distributers which will, naturally, have their mark-up. That will eat into your profits.

I have imported heaps ex China without any issues at all. Really simple to do ...

- Find out the MOQ (minimum order quantity)

- Find out the closest port for them to send it to.

- Get a price per unit delivered to that port & also ask the Chinese company to get a price for the goods to the nearest port for you

- Ask for a cm3 volume and weight

- Ring Mainfeight International and get a price quote based on the size, weight and whether they can "LCL' it from that port or what is the closest port for them to work from

- compare prices

- Ask for a pro forma invoice with their bank details

- Send the money through your bank

- Wait for the goods to arrive

- Get a local customs agent to clear the goods

- All done in usually 6 to 8 weeks

also get someone to check pre ship loading weight/quantity and arrival weight/quantity. My dad experienced stuff missing whilst the cargo was being transported within the shipping yard in China.

get someone thats reputable or had other customers with good feedback.

Yep, that's who I think I'll use. They seem pretty well established. Thanks for the tips guys4