Sign in to follow this  
BadE30

lowering tips

im wanting to find out some info about getting my 318i lowered...

any tips, best places etc. want to get it fully sacked so wondering how others have gone about it..

One tip would be to do it yourself, Providing your at least slightly mechanically minded it shouldn't be any problem. Everyone reccomends that you buy new shocks in the process aswell to avoid blowing out the old ones a few k's down the line.

How to tackle Springs + Shocks.

Back: Remove the wheel - jack + axle stand the car, Attach the spring compressors to both sides of the spring and lower the E30 4WD spring down evenly, unbolt the sway bar, unbolt the shock (bolt is facing away from you at the bottom of the shock) and voila, Force the old spring out with the likes of a crow bar.... From here you can remove the top 3 outer bolts of the shock from inside the boot which will make it drop down and out. Insert new shock in (the opposite of removal)

Installation of new spring is easier than the removal of the old, Compress the new one then insert it then proceed to re-bolt everything up.

Front: Remove the wheel - jack + axle stand the car, Attach the spring compressors to both sides of the spring and lower the spring down evenly, unbolt the sway bar then work your way to the strut tower (inside the bonnet) Remove the outer 3 bolts, then whole assembly should drop down, from here you should be able to pull the top of the strut out from under the gaurds. Make sure the spring is well grasped before you remove the middle bolt from the top of the 'strut cap' this will allow it to be removed and give you access to the spring. From here you can replace your shock - unscrew then insert new one into the strut. Put the new springs in (compressed so you can get the cap back on) then installation is the opposite of removal.

Anything I missed?...

Its far easier to take the entire strut out, its only 2 more nuts, they just might take a few hits with a hammer to lossen them. Also, will only need spring clamps to remove old springs, the new one will be captive when the top nut is done up. And use a rattle gun on the top nut.

Also, SAS can supply 90mm springs.

WHAT EVER YOU DO REMERBER!!

Dont see mag and turbo...well at least not in the hutt, they have stuffed me and so of my mates around.

GO somewhere you can trust, and shop around..

I got jamex and kyb shocks and am happy.

Stil have kyb shocks out der if n e ones keen? I need the money!!

Edited by bemmaboi

order the parts from stocks or go and see merv at wairau suspension, in the white pages.

what is "fully sacked"? is that like where you put you balls on your car like a teabag or something?

oh wait it's where you prepare your car to put some stupidly massive and out of place cheomies on aye? and they disappear under the gaurds and make cool scraping noise when you turn corners? think i've heard of that before ... on wannabegangsta.com what a mod that is!! i'm soo jealous :thumb:

sounds mean if thats what you're gonna do :huh:

best lowering job in that case, would be detailed on www.rangimods.co.nz

holla :lol:

Dont do it. please?

If youre gonna lower it, do it proper. Get some decent springs and new shocks made to work with them.

Theres no point in doing it if all it will do is slow you down and mess up your tyres and ruin your handling.

Ok, so i've had my e30 about 4 weeks now and it handles like a boat. I've been told the shocks are pretty much worn out and it's at standard height.

BMWorkshop suggested Boges and leaving the springs alone, but...based on what's been posted here before i was figuring on Bilstein sports and possibly some jamex springs

....so where do Bimmersporters recommend i go in Auckland to get sorted?

Guest Andrew

buy that shock/spring combo (bilstien, jamex) and chuck it in your self.

STOCKS are suspension part wholesalers to practically every workshop in the country. right?

STOCKS are suspension part wholesalers to practically every workshop in the country. right?

correct....

do they do retail as well???

correct....

do they do retail as well???

They do retail, but they don't undercut there own wholesale customers. So it's usually cheaper to buy Stocks products through your local workshop than it is to buy direct.

correct, depending on thier markup.

get a quote from stocks and make sure that your local retailer matches that quote.

i went to sas in manakau city they sussed me out good with boge extremes, (shortened) and whiteline springs, it had my rear sitting bout 2 inches under the guards and the front about one, its the most 'sakd' ive ever seen an e30 aside from the gumpy clowns that chop their springs :drugs:

Guest Andrew

i went to sas in manakau city they sussed me out good with boge extremes, (shortened) and whiteline springs, it had my rear sitting bout 2 inches under the guards and the front about one, its the most 'sakd' ive ever seen an e30 aside from the gumpy clowns that chop their springs :drugs:

that must be awesome

Whats the ground clearance on your car? Must be under 100mm or bloody close to it. Did you get it certed or are you just over the limit?