Sign in to follow this  
KwS

M20 flywheel/clutch on E36 M50/52

Okay, still getting prices for doing my manual conversion and its getting WAAAY out of hand now!

Basically, parts and labour is somewhere around $3500 with a new clutch and lightweight flywheel.

As this is a daily car, i dont imagine itll get more than the odd track day for punishment i dont need huge amounts of clamping force and freakin carbon kevlar plates etc.

What im thinking is to get rid of the dual mass (as a new one is hideously expensive) is to use a late E30 M20 325i flywheel and clutch setup. Its been documented a couple of times, but im wondering if anyone here has done it and has any tips?

Itll be going on my M52 323i.

So far i know i need to either shave the back of the FW 5-6mm or remove some webbing from the block, and i need to use the M20 starter too.

Thinking a 2nd hand M20 flywheel and starter, new OEM clutch, get FW machined on both sides, balanced, and away i go.

Edited by KwS

yes i have done 2 now my e36 92 325i and 96 328i .

i just used a earlier m20 flywheel they are lighter and dont need to have any machining(except for the clutch face etc) about 6.5- 7.5kg intead of the later 1988 onwards e30 325i ,e34 525i 10kg ones.

and i just used a m20 starter and a fairly std m20 325i clutch kit from "auto clutch in morningside" with a bit more clamping pressure added to the pressure plate. new clutch disc and release bearing cost about $300-350 etc

no problems so far .

awesome, thanks for the reply. Sounds like this is the way to go then.

Do you know what year/model E30 your flywheel is from (or is it any Pre88 M20?)? Would love one i dont need to machine the back of.

I have 2 of the lighter ones f/sale, they are 6.1 Kg, pm me if interested.

awesome, thanks for the reply. Sounds like this is the way to go then.

Do you know what year/model E30 your flywheel is from (or is it any Pre88 M20?)? Would love one i dont need to machine the back of.

yes 1978 to about 1987 etc . but they do vary depending on whsat model and year they are from

check bmwfan.net for weights