Sign in to follow this  
RhoanW

MKIV DVD Navigation System maybe?

My car is a 2002 530i which was destined for Japan I think. It has a navigation computer in the trunk labeled DVD Navigation II system. Is it safe to assume that this is a MK4 system? I also want to know how do I check the OS version on it, I tried entering the mode that allows you to change the tuner and got something saying 3-2 70 is this the OS version or just that of the radio?

No,

That is Japan only system. To use in NZ you need to buy a Euro / US MKIV computer and make some wiring changes, and of course get a NZ map disc.

My Thread

Edited by camera doctor

What CMRADR says is 100% correct

He just missed out the bit that the change is REALLY worthwhile and you get a nav system that is on a par with a modern TomTom, but was made a decade ago...

Hey Jochen as I was saying to CMRADR I won't really get much benefit from a US/ Europe version NAV unit cause I have no maps available for Jamaica; but what I want to know is can I upgrade this unit with a new splash screen. I will be fine with that.

What CMRADR says is 100% correct

He just missed out the bit that the change is REALLY worthwhile and you get a nav system that is on a par with a modern TomTom, but was made a decade ago...

Hey Jochen as I was saying to CMRADR I won't really get much benefit from a US/ Europe version NAV unit cause I have no maps available for Jamaica; but what I want to know is can I upgrade this unit with a new splash screen. I will be fine with that.

On a Jap nav you cannot change the splash screen

Are you sure you have a Jap car?

Is your car right hand drive?

I thought Jamaica was left-hand drive

Jochen

On a Jap nav you cannot change the splash screen

Are you sure you have a Jap car?

Is your car right hand drive?

I thought Jamaica was left-hand drive

Jochen

No, Jamaica is coming from British rule so we are right-hand drive. I think my car is from Japan because I see a JPN under the speedometer. Oh well, I guess I will just save up and buy a Dynavin although I doubt I will get maps for Jamaica either. On another note Jochen, can the keys for the car be damaged in terms of they can open the doors and start the car but can't open it remotely? I called my dealer and they told me just to check the keys will cost $51 USD and the keys could have been damaged. My remote open doesn't work and I have tried everything listed to re-initialize already.

No, Jamaica is coming from British rule so we are right-hand drive. I think my car is from Japan because I see a JPN under the speedometer. Oh well, I guess I will just save up and buy a Dynavin although I doubt I will get maps for Jamaica either. On another note Jochen, can the keys for the car be damaged in terms of they can open the doors and start the car but can't open it remotely? I called my dealer and they told me just to check the keys will cost $51 USD and the keys could have been damaged. My remote open doesn't work and I have tried everything listed to re-initialize already.

check the battery in the key: does LED flash? if yes, battery is OK

then do a re-sync of key to car - google for the procedure, no tools required.

check the battery in the key: does LED flash? if yes, battery is OK

then do a re-sync of key to car - google for the procedure, no tools required.

Well Jochen I tried every single procedure I could find on Google and nothing has worked. One of my keys had dead batteries, I have since replaced them and nothing. I now wonder if some part could have been damaged or I am still not doing it right but I even watched a video on Youtube and followed it exactly! My fuel door actuator locks works fine and I even disconnected it and tried just to be sure. It would be nice to get it working but I feel defeated right now; by the way I noticed a little sensor looking thing sticking out of my vents on top of the dashboard is that the sensor for the remote?

Well Jochen I tried every single procedure I could find on Google and nothing has worked. One of my keys had dead batteries, I have since replaced them and nothing. I now wonder if some part could have been damaged or I am still not doing it right but I even watched a video on Youtube and followed it exactly! My fuel door actuator locks works fine and I even disconnected it and tried just to be sure. It would be nice to get it working but I feel defeated right now; by the way I noticed a little sensor looking thing sticking out of my vents on top of the dashboard is that the sensor for the remote?

E39 has 2 x remote locking systems:

Infrared: with clown nose on rear view mirror, old style keys

Radio: uses antenna on rear window, receiver is part of the antenna amplifier

Radio doesn't need line of sight

IR does of course.

That "little senser looking thing " on the windscreen vent is probably part of your aircon system and its purpose is to adjust cooling when the car is in hot sunshine

That "little senser looking thing " on the windscreen vent is probably part of your aircon system and its purpose is to adjust cooling when the car is in hot sunshine

Thanks for that info kiwiland.

Jochen, it is in fact the older key with the big red circular clown nose so I guess it is IR; can the clown nose be damaged and if so how would you test it? Should I just but a diagnostic tool for the car?

Jochen, it is in fact the older key with the big red circular clown nose so I guess it is IR; can the clown nose be damaged and if so how would you test it? Should I just but a diagnostic tool for the car?

You can test an IR key very easily:

Get your digital camera, look at the key through the camera screen, and press the key button.

On the camera, you will see the infrared flashing, as the camera lens is sensitive to IR

If you see the flashes, the key is OK. Check all keys at the same time. Check both key buttons.

The issue will surely be the initialization sequence. Ask other forum members for the right sequence, I have forgotten it

You must initialize all keys at the same time (there are 2 x IR remotes supplied with the car ex factory)

Jochen

You can test an IR key very easily:

Get your digital camera, look at the key through the camera screen, and press the key button.

On the camera, you will see the infrared flashing, as the camera lens is sensitive to IR

If you see the flashes, the key is OK. Check all keys at the same time. Check both key buttons.

The issue will surely be the initialization sequence. Ask other forum members for the right sequence, I have forgotten it

You must initialize all keys at the same time (there are 2 x IR remotes supplied with the car ex factory)

Jochen

Thanks! I will try that right now.