Sign in to follow this  
Jedan71

318i with running issue

I have a 1997 318i M43 engine with a running problem need some help please, hope its one cause for the different occurances.

1) It starts 99% fine then the 1% it fails and after cranking for a while it will start.

2) When going mainly up hill it will stutter and lose power, you have to push pedal to the ground or engage sport mode to get higher revs to push through it, it happens randomly

3) when driving on main road at 2100 revs steady speed the fuel consumption guage looks like bobbin between figures nice and steady and sometimes the cars feels like it is pulsing.

Had BMW diag on it, no faults, throttle body cleaned, new plugs, good heathly blue spark at HT lead end.

Please can you help as going mad trying to find fault and without buying millions of parts, also most mechaincs cant put their finger on the problem as it infrequent on testing.

Thanks for any idea...

Sounds very much like a MAF sensor issue... it won't throw an error code. What location are you in ?

Hi, I am in Wellington, No error codes when plugged in, Is the MAF, on top of the filter box, thus sensing all air flow coming in. have atttached a pic of the exact same engine bay as mine, this picture is cleaner also with an arrow if you can confirm this is the MAF and its built into lid so have to replace it all.

post-3918-1308309924.jpg

Edited by Jedan71

Thats a vane type AFM not MAF. It may have a sticky vane ...has anyone checked that ? Has fuel pressure & flow been checked ? I'd also check and make sure the cat isn't blocked as well.