Sign in to follow this  
central3

Audio whine

I have a Dennison IPod interface unit fitted to my E46 330i - when using an IPod there is a high pitched whine which changes with engine rpm. I guess it is alternator or ignition interference - anyone sorted this in an E46 before?

not sure , but make sure your (possitive)power wires dont run next to your audio wires.

If it's only with e iPod then the problem is between the iPod and whatever the dennison interface is connected to. Likely to be a dodgy cable or earth loop.

My e36 does this. i got told it was somthing to do with the spark plugs (change them to resistor ones or somthing).. not sure if that is true.

Just to be sure try another ipod fm transmitter im assuming it plugs in through your cigar lighter so the only way for interference to occur is if speaker wires are very close to power wires or your ipod transmitter is faulty and getting interference from its power source

Earth to the cig lighter is probably shithouse. Replace it with a new one as a precaution. Easy job. Run a new earth wire to one of the earth points behind the dash.

yup, bad earth

yup, bad earth

Thanks guys - will check the earth as I had no problems when I first installed the unit so something has changed